diy solar

diy solar

Epever 6415AN doesn't respect my settings

I have read through this thread a few times, and want to get a consensus on something.

Are others experiencing the same thing where the SCC won’t accept the new settings right away? Is there a typical time delay for the new settings to take effect?

I’m starting to get frustrated with this controller, especially after all of the other (unrelated) roadblocks that I have experienced.
If anything, when I change something, it shows in next cycle

Bumping this up - anyone else have insights on the delay between setting parameters and the settings taking hold? Thanks!

I find that I can make some adjustments that take immediately. others take days to kick in.
For instance, when in float, I can adjust float voltage up or down and see it ramp up or down almost immediately.
However, when in float, the boost recon voltage changes don't seem to matter at all.
What stage the cycle is in and which changes you make really matters.
For instance, when in boost, no boost voltage change alters performance at all. The old setting is used until the boost cycle completes, even across multiple days. The new setting is ignored until the old setting is met. Once you hit the old setting and complete a float cycle, then it honors the new setting. I've struggled with this for weeks.
The upper charge limit is also a bit intermittent as I've set the max voltage from 54v to 58.40v and the controller always seems to exceed it, however temporarily. Yesterday, I was at 57.00v max and the controller spiked at 59.6v before coming down. I think the max voltage is more of a guide than a hard max as i have seen it overrun in all modes. The overrun is normally quite short in duration, then the charge controller ramps down and rebuilds to something less than max. Most often, I see it when in float and a passing cloud drops the current for a moment. Upon going by, the burst of sun cranks up the current and goes right by the max voltage for 15-60 seconds until the controller reacts.

After quite some time, I've finally gotten the controller stabilized at the settings i wanted. Using a narrow range of boost, float and boost recon voltage settings and a short boost duration, this configuration boosts from initiation in the morning until 53.78v. It spends 10 minutes there then floats during full sun. If my load surges for more than a minute or two, or a cloud goes by and reduces the current for more than a minute or two, the controller drops back to boost for at least 10 minutes. The voltages have an added .16v increase from 53.60v to compensate for the difference in voltage between what the controller thinks, and what is measured directly on the cells. In full sun float with a steady load, the battery pack rides along perfectly at 53.6v, measured at the cells. A small cloud or short surge in load will not affect the mode and the system continues to float. A large cloud or extended surge in load drops the system back into boost and it quickly recovers the voltage, then returning to float. I have granular control of just how long i can go under reduced current or increased load without leaving float. I've also managed to keep the max voltage well under the limit.
I think this configuration will allow a greatly extended cycle lifespan and the charge cycle is running consistently at no more than 90%SOC at the top, and from 10-70%SOC at the bottom with the average around 50%SOC. It also allows the CC phase of the cycle to track in the graph, real time, instead of counting down a fixed amount and hoping that got it done.

Attachments

• 2860w-33.png
    2860w-33.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 27
After quite some time, I've finally gotten the controller stabilized at the settings i wanted.
Hi..
Could you upload your settings, the settings can be exported and saved as a text document.
I have the same controller, considering upgrading to Lithium. Would like to look over your settings before commuting to a Lithium upgrade..

After quite some time, I've finally gotten the controller stabilized at the settings i wanted. Using a narrow range of boost, float and boost recon voltage settings and a short boost duration, this configuration boosts from initiation in the morning until 53.78v. It spends 10 minutes there then floats during full sun. If my load surges for more than a minute or two, or a cloud goes by and reduces the current for more than a minute or two, the controller drops back to boost for at least 10 minutes. The voltages have an added .16v increase from 53.60v to compensate for the difference in voltage between what the controller thinks, and what is measured directly on the cells. In full sun float with a steady load, the battery pack rides along perfectly at 53.6v, measured at the cells. A small cloud or short surge in load will not affect the mode and the system continues to float. A large cloud or extended surge in load drops the system back into boost and it quickly recovers the voltage, then returning to float. I have granular control of just how long i can go under reduced current or increased load without leaving float. I've also managed to keep the max voltage well under the limit.
I think this configuration will allow a greatly extended cycle lifespan and the charge cycle is running consistently at no more than 90%SOC at the top, and from 10-70%SOC at the bottom with the average around 50%SOC. It also allows the CC phase of the cycle to track in the graph, real time, instead of counting down a fixed amount and hoping that got it done.
Since your last post in April, I suspect your enjoying life these days rather than obsessing over your Epever SCC, but just in case you’re still monitoring this thread, I’ve finally gotten my AN6420 hooked up and have a couple questions for you:

Did you ever end up with a divinities conclusion about which settings change behavior immediately and which only after a delay (either a full reset, overnight delay, or completion of a charge state or cycle)?

I’ve gotten charging pretty much working but realize I’ve probably never been out of boost mode so far, do it may be too early to declare victory.

On the other hand, I’m attempting to use the generator relays and have been frustrated that my changes to Vuvw and Vuvwr seeming have no effect.

I remembered something about changes to settings/parameters sometimes not taking effect until the next day and so dug up this old thread.

Anyone understanding how settings changes are implemented in Epever AN SCCs in general or how to change Vuvw and Vuvwr settings to activate generator start relay, I’d appreciate any pointers.

Pretty impressed with the AN6420 itself but the documentation is worse than piss-poor…

I've had this controller since 9/2019 and recently upgraded my battery bank from sealed lead acid to LiFePo4. The changeover was a bit nerve-wracking, but it all went fine after a couple of restarts.
Now, i've chosen my operating voltages, but the controller is ignoring them. I wanted the battery to top out at 90% or 53.60v so set that as boost voltage. Float is at 53.55v and boost reconnect at 53.50v. Equalisation charge is set to 54.00v and charge limit voltage to 55.00v. Boost duration is set to 30 and equalisation duration is also 30. I have the model with no load outputs so other settings are moot. I've charged for three days to get up to 53.60v. The voltage is continuing to rise, currently at 54.17v and stays in boost. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Not sure what to do...

Similar thing happened to my 4210AN.

I ended up setting the charge limit to the same as the Boost voltage, which worked (with equalization turned off).

I hope this isn't considered a necro of this thread. But related to changing settings on Epever charge controllers... I am communicating with mine(4210an) using a rs485 adapter plugged into a Pi then sharing that port to a windows box running the epever solar monitor software.

When I wanted to change the port settings(to 9600) and the ID#(2) of the unit those settings could be written but would not take hold. Neither of the settings took effect until I powered off the unit disconnecting it from the panels and then the batteries. After bringing it back up those settings were finally being used. Mind you the software reported those settings were changed when I read them from the unit(using 115200bps and ID1 to my chagrin), but the unit would not actually communicate at 9600 and ID2 until it was rebooted.

So, some other settings may require a reboot of the controller.

Joe-

Went thru this thread...interesting dealing with the Epever controller - I have a 3210AN, mobile application. (RV)
I have a couple of profiles based on whether we're using the unit or it's in storage. Lower settings for the latter, obviously.

After floating for a week I noticed it had kicked into boost mode, I think the battery finally hit the recon voltage and started the boost cycle.

But here's the kicker - panels are 2S which generally put out about 42V. Today the controller was reading 14.1V and amps were pretty low too. Put a DMM on the contacts and sure enough, 14V. So I shut the panel disconnect off and reconnected, and voile - full volts again. Any ideas what's happening there?

Did it again - SCC showing 14V on the PV inputs - should be 43V. Disconnect panels, reconnect, 43V.
Anyone have any ideas why it drops voltage?

Back