diy solar

diy solar

EPEVER UP5000-HM8042

Pigsy

Hi guys, I’m installing the above inverter and troubled as to how to read the instructions pin out, let’s explain.
As per Pictures the BMS is a 200A pace BMS.
IMG_0252.pngIMG_0253.jpegIMG_0254.jpeg
1. Do I set up to use CAN or RS485 and link one to the B RJ45 inside unit as it’s a bit misleading as EPEVER say you must use and buy the BMS link or is this not the case all very very confusing.

2. Is it isolated or non isolated because from what I’m reading if I’m right the pace BMS pin out for RJ45 has NC (not connect?) which translates Pace to Inverter pin4&5 on standard RJ45 gets chopped off to pin1&2 Inverter B port, is that correct 🙈. If I’m right I’m a bloody genius and do understand it😂

3. The other point is my battery is an FE51.2v preloaded inverter protocols for victron, pylon tech, growatt, Solis, goodwe now does this change any thing in a way I don’t need to make up a cable as I’ve already explained or should it be plug and play. If so explain why because I just can’t see when they have two different pin outs from pace to EPEVER.

If anyone is good enough to assist me It would be really appreciated.

Mark

Not surprised you are confused by those details...

1. Do I set up to use CAN or RS485
The Epever manual suggests it only supports RS485 as CAN is not mentioned.

and link one to the B RJ45 inside unit as it’s a bit misleading as EPEVER say you must use and buy the BMS link or is this not the case all very very confusing.

2. Is it isolated or non isolated because from what I’m reading if I’m right the pace BMS pin out for RJ45 has NC (not connect?) which translates Pace to Inverter pin4&5 on standard RJ45 gets chopped off to pin1&2 Inverter B port, is that correct 🙈. If I’m right I’m a bloody genius and do understand it😂
Yes... Pace info is confusing. Firstly RJ45 has 8 pins, so I have no idea why there are references to pins 9 through 16 at all.

You will need to connect 2 wires...
RJ485-A from battery to RJ485-A on inverter and
RJ485-B from battery to RJ485-B on inverter
Furthermore those 2 wires must be a twisted pair, so basically must be a pair of the same color as each other, with one being stripped white.

So, the way I read it is that the epever supports either pins 3 and 6 (which will be the green & green-white pair) OR pins 4 and 5 (which will be the blue & blue-white pair).

However, at the other end - the PACE end - the RS485 pairs are either 1 & 2 or 7 & 8 (so the orange & orange-white pair or the brown & brown-white pair).

Hence you will need to make a cable that connects either of those pairs together - so for example on that connects pins 3 and 6 (epever) to pins 1 & 2 (pace) - so 3 connects to 1 and 6 connect to 2.

3. The other point is my battery is an FE51.2v preloaded inverter protocols for victron, pylon tech, growatt, Solis, goodwe now does this change any thing in a way I don’t need to make up a cable as I’ve already explained or should it be plug and play.
You will need to make a cable.

If so explain why because I just can’t see when they have two different pin outs from pace to EPEVER.
RJ45 is just a physical specification of a connector. It does not define what it is used for or what the signals mean. So, it is not uncommon for different manufactures to use different pins for different purposes.

That is the fun of DIY :) Life would be so boring if everything just plugged together and worked!

From what you've shared, it seems like you're trying to make sense of the BMS, which is a 200A pace BMS. It might help to double-check the manual or reach out to others who have installed the same inverter for some tips and tricks. S

Cheers for coming back to me.
So I got a BMS link and who would believe it comes with a pylon tech cable 🤛 should be easy peezy.
I’ll attach the picture of documentation just to make sure I’ve got it right.
Apparently battery side when you set it up you just tell it to look at pylontech or Victron whatever and the BMS Link adapts out the UPHI side of things so sorted. All I think I have to then do is set menu 40 to look at LFP.
I got a WiFi dongle which im fitting also

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 3
Not surprised you are confused by those details...

The Epever manual suggests it only supports RS485 as CAN is not mentioned.

Yes... Pace info is confusing. Firstly RJ45 has 8 pins, so I have no idea why there are references to pins 9 through 16 at all.

You will need to connect 2 wires...
RJ485-A from battery to RJ485-A on inverter and
RJ485-B from battery to RJ485-B on inverter
Furthermore those 2 wires must be a twisted pair, so basically must be a pair of the same color as each other, with one being stripped white.

So, the way I read it is that the epever supports either pins 3 and 6 (which will be the green & green-white pair) OR pins 4 and 5 (which will be the blue & blue-white pair).

However, at the other end - the PACE end - the RS485 pairs are either 1 & 2 or 7 & 8 (so the orange & orange-white pair or the brown & brown-white pair).

Hence you will need to make a cable that connects either of those pairs together - so for example on that connects pins 3 and 6 (epever) to pins 1 & 2 (pace) - so 3 connects to 1 and 6 connect to 2.

You will need to make a cable.

RJ45 is just a physical specification of a connector. It does not define what it is used for or what the signals mean. So, it is not uncommon for different manufactures to use different pins for different purposes.

That is the fun of DIY :) Life would be so boring if everything just plugged together and worked!
Thanks very much that makes it very easy for me to understand now.
I am wondering though why do they not include the Ground GND or 5v power. I guess it’s driven through the EPEVER side or they both internally send information back and forth just through the signal wire that also makes sense, and I suppose that’s what they mean by isolated in this case as opposed to non isolated being from the voltage supply.. I guess I just have an interest in what each is doing because neither companies explain how they work and if I don’t know I want to, I’m very nosey 😊👍
Any way after all that I bought the BMS link to complement things as EPEVER says it handles things better with it but they probably just want another sale source.

Back