diy solar

diy solar

Epoch Victron Comms

GodzillaOverland

I am wondering if the Victron Comms is worth an extra $600 for the 460ah. I am doing a 12/24v system so I need three batteries. I plan on running all Victron components including inverter, two converters, three MPPTs, Lynx and Cerbo and the little blue stuff. What am I really getting from the batteries that I don’t already have from everything else? That extra $1800 buys a lot more solar panels.

Yes its worth it, I'm doing a small test 24v victron system myself and the cerbo comms are great IMO. If you didn't need comms why go with a victron at all. I'm using a sfk 24v kit 150ah 24 with comms.

In regards to epoch only the 460 supports multiple batteries, the other essentials brand maxes out at 1 battery per victron so keep that in mind.

Yes its worth it, I'm doing a small test 24v victron system myself and the cerbo comms are great IMO. If you didn't need comms why go with a victron at all. I'm using a sfk 24v kit 150ah 24 with comms.

In regards to epoch only the 460 supports multiple batteries, the other essentials brand maxes out at 1 battery per victron so keep that in mind.
Ok so what information are you actually getting from the Epoch battery communications? The Epoch Essential 460ah has Bluetooth (+6000 cycles and 4 max batteries in series or parallel) and my Victron components are going to be able to give me information, right? Still not sure what the other 470ah battery is giving me with half the battery life.

From this article I stumbled across, it does not sound like the Victron comms in the Epoch batteries are really that useful. I don't have any personal experience with them, but is worthy of consideration if this is a feature of the battery that has you leaning towards it.

Victron Comms Problems

Can you link info regarding the 460ah “the other essentials brand maxes out at 1 battery per victron” ?

And, per Victron what?

Can you link info regarding the 460ah “the other essentials brand maxes out at 1 battery per victron” ?

And, per Victron what?

From looking at a picture of the label on the battery itself, it says max of 4s4p. It also claims 4000 cycles instead of the 7000 claimed in the literature.

• VICTRON COMMS - Max of 1S1P for communications, cannot string multiple batteries for communication purposes.
So if you have 2 batteries only 1 can talk to the Victron system the other can not.

the 460AMP "Pro" version you can connect multiple batteries and have them talk with the Victron:

Sun Fun Kits has batteries that allows up to 8 to communicate with Victron:

So that is why I suggested looking at the 460 Pro version if you want victron communication.

I’m familiar with SFK. I’ve talked with the owner and don’t care for the way he presents some of the specs out of the norm, nor did I care for his explanation of such. His batteries look awesome though.

The Epoch pro version is the model I’ve been looking at (planning on 2 in my Sprinter) but the video in post 4 above has me rethinking that, certainly at the price difference. But there is the 300amp max continuous discharge.

Reposted video below so title and info can be seen.

PS proper description of the subject battery is 460AH, not 460AMP, both mean different things.

Last edited:
I’m familiar with SFK. I’ve talked with the owner and don’t care for the way he presents some of the specs out of the norm,

That is strange they have been very transparent about there batteries and kits probably more so than others with there kits as you can see exactly what is in them. I would advise saving the money and going for the kits instead though this way you won't have to rely on warranty or other issues as most of these companies find creative ways on not honoring anything, heck they might not even be in business (just look at killovault).

But yes I would only recommend the big 460AH with comms, even though there is a price gap, I think its the only one that is worth, the other one could just as easily bee a li-time battery because if something goes wrong with you you'll need to get a sawzall to get into it.

That is strange they have been very transparent about there batteries and kits probably more so than others with there kits as you can see exactly what is in them. I would advise saving the money and going for the kits instead though this way you won't have to rely on warranty or other issues as most of these companies find creative ways on not honoring anything, heck they might not even be in business (just look at killovault).

But yes I would only recommend the big 460AH with comms, even though there is a price gap, I think its the only one that is worth, the other one could just as easily bee a li-time battery because if something goes wrong with you you'll need to get a sawzall to get into it.
Here is an example of information I was talking about.
Every other battery mfg I’ve seen would use a formula for a 12v battery of 12.8V x 300A= 3840W.
Yet SFK indicates 4000W so apparently they use 13.3V instead of the standard 12.8V.
Why not use the industry accepted standard formula.
That’s not really a question.
I just find it quirky and annoying. I suppose that’s a me thing.

It’s too bad, they appear to be nice batteries.
IMG_0174.jpeg

Did you read the article he linked to? It basically says that the Victron comms in the Epoch battery is useless. Although it may still be worth the extra money for a servicable battery...I know I am strongly leaning towards one.

Did you read the article he linked to? It basically says that the Victron comms in the Epoch battery is useless. Although it may still be worth the extra money for a servicable battery...I know I am strongly leaning towards one.
I’m leaning towards two, but it’d sure be nice if they got the bugs out.

Here is an example of information I was talking about.
Every other battery mfg I’ve seen would use a formula for a 12v battery of 12.8V x 300A= 3840W.
Yet SFK indicates 4000W so apparently they use 13.3V instead of the standard 12.8V.
Why not use the industry accepted standard formula.
That’s not really a question.
I just find it quirky and annoying. I suppose that’s a me thing.

It’s too bad, they appear to be nice batteries.
View attachment 227383

links form sfk review page & videos page:

over 4kwh test

4kwh

4kwh

4kwh

I'd venture to say the sfk batteries have done more test and have graphs of these test than anyone else the claim for 4kwh is backed up by tests. I don't know how they arrive at the 300AH maybe just marketing because most people with EVE 304 Cells get about 312 AH in real world test.

Also there app lets you upload test results which are more conservative than shunt tests:

https://www.sunfunkits.com/app/ViewBenchmarkDetails?id=1d435cf34663 as an example

https://www.sunfunkits.com/app/ViewBenchmarkDetails?id=e773938adf02 showing below 4 kwh

https://www.sunfunkits.com/app/ViewBenchmarkDetails?id=69fab9975644 4.17 kwh on a fan tester

You can email SFK they have hundreds of tests it ranges between 3.9 - 4.1 kwh for the 300HP, my neighbor has 4 in his newmar class A coach he tested them all they all were 4080 kwh but the app said about 4010 kwh. Not saying they can't have some that are lower but they have been quite consistent.

My opinion on the victron comms I like it only because I can turn bluetooth off and view things on the VRM, its a nice plus but not a necessity as a victron shunt can behave very similarly.

Having a database of real world test results is quite useful, takes me back to the 3d mark days where we would all test graphics card to see who got the highest score.

diy solar

diy solar
Back