diy solar

diy solar

Erratic & Erroneous Cell Voltages Whilst Charging - JKBMS B2A24S15P

BipedalPrimate

JKBMS B2A24S15P

Readings for Cell 9 in the attached video are the culprit.

Whilst charging with above 35 amps to 55.2v (3.45v/cell), the voltage is 'reported' to be widely fluctuating. Other cells also fluctuate but not to the same degree.

'Reported' because 2 different multi-meters across the cell during charging shows a stable voltage just below the average cell voltages.

The fluctuations are above 50mv at times.

Have tried:
  • swapping cell 9 to another position - the problem remains with voltage readings for the replacement in cell 9 position.
  • re-terminated voltage sense lead on cell 9 - if it was loose connection, I would have expected the voltage to be reported low - not high.
  • changed voltage sense lead resistance values in app - no impact.
  • changing the charge amps - at below 10 amps, issue not observed. As amps increased, the fluctuations increase proportionally.
  • top balanced entire pack (again) to 3.55v - no impact
Conjecture:
As charging current increases in JKBMS electronics, a larger/stronger magnetic field is induced which interferes with the voltage sense readings.

Impacts:
As cell 9 is misreporting high voltages, it is the first cell to be balanced (at 3.45v) which reduces the AH of that cell. After absorption and during discharge, cell 9 has consistently the lowest voltage.

Apart from getting a replacement BMS, are there any other suggestions on how to resolve?

Attachments

• Erratic Cell Voltage.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
That's a 24S BMS, right? I assume you're using 16 out of the 24 balance lead ports.

Is there a reason you cannot make cell 9 use the balance port for cell 17 and re-test?

JKBMS B2A24S15P

Readings for Cell 9 in the attached video are the culprit.

Whilst charging with above 35 amps to 55.2v (3.45v/cell), the voltage is 'reported' to be widely fluctuating. Other cells also fluctuate but not to the same degree.

'Reported' because 2 different multi-meters across the cell during charging shows a stable voltage just below the average cell voltages.

The fluctuations are above 50mv at times.

Have tried:
  • swapping cell 9 to another position - the problem remains with voltage readings for the replacement in cell 9 position.
  • re-terminated voltage sense lead on cell 9 - if it was loose connection, I would have expected the voltage to be reported low - not high.
  • changed voltage sense lead resistance values in app - no impact.
  • changing the charge amps - at below 10 amps, issue not observed. As amps increased, the fluctuations increase proportionally.
  • top balanced entire pack (again) to 3.55v - no impact
Conjecture:
As charging current increases in JKBMS electronics, a larger/stronger magnetic field is induced which interferes with the voltage sense readings.

Impacts:
As cell 9 is misreporting high voltages, it is the first cell to be balanced (at 3.45v) which reduces the AH of that cell. After absorption and during discharge, cell 9 has consistently the lowest voltage.

Apart from getting a replacement BMS, are there any other suggestions on how to resolve?
The most often problem is a bad terminal connection. I’m assuming that you have two rows of 8 for 16 cells. Are you using a smaller conductor that jumps across from 8 to cell 9? All busses/jumpers must have the same resistance/connectivity. If you swap around cells did you use the same buss/jumper? Is the bottom of that connector clean, not just visually but buffed? Is there any temperature difference felt in any terminals under higher loads? Don’t get shocked!

All busses/jumpers must have the same resistance/connectivity.
Is the reason for this statement that Cell 9 voltage is calculated by the BMS using measurement points on Cell 8 +ve terminal & Cell9 +ve terminal?

Why would the reported voltage be erratic if they were not the same resistance/conductivity? I could understand it if the voltage was consistently under actual should there be a higher resistance bus/jumper between cell 8 & 9.

Last edited:
Is the reason for this statement that Cell 9 voltage is calculated by the BMS using measurement points on Cell 8 +ve terminal & Cell9 +ve terminal?

Why would the reported voltage be erratic if they were not the same resistance/conductivity? I could understand it if the voltage was consistently under actual should there be a higher resistance bus/jumper between cell 8 & 9.
Is the conductor between cells 8 & 9 indeed different from all the others?

Wildly fluctuations with a steady load would indicate a bad connection in that area. If a jumper, it could indicate a bad crimp. Suspect everything from cell 8 to 9 and 9 to 10. Under load, are you able to probe the actual cell terminal with a voltmeter not just measuring from the tops of the busses? Measure any difference between different cells (under the busses) with this method under load. Compare to known good areas.

Suspect everything
You are correct.

I had a 350A Class T Fuse between cells 8 & 9 because the AS/NZS 5139 standard indicates the Arc Flash Incident Energy hazard can be reduced by 50% with an over current protection device in series in middle of battery string.

The AS/NZS 5139 Arc Flash calculations are based on NFPA 70E Annex D.

Have now rebuilt the pack to relocate the 350A Class T Fuse to between cell 16 and battery disconnect circuit breaker - the large cell 9 voltage fluctuations have disappeared.

Back