diy solar

diy solar

Ev charging help and battery reading issues

chariotman

So to start with to give easy information to work off of, I have a 24v lifepower4 200ah battery and a pip 2724lv-mr 24v inverter. I've tried many things, but have so far been unable to get the inverter to read the battery charge correctly. I think it reads it as a smaller battery so it gives me wrong information. It both has a panel to show on the inverter and a 4 light system on battery itself. I also try to track it by having my computer connected to the inverter with watchpower, but while it gives me useful information about charging current etc, it doesn't say the battery level correctly.

The second idea is about seeing if anyone knows how to safely charge such a system as mine using ev charging stations. Would using these two things in tandem work and be safe?
Power converter
adapter

I really appreciate this community and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the battery voltage with a good multimeter and compared that to see which one is accurate?

My experience is the inverter reading is not very accurate but my controller is closer to the multimeter reading.

Have you checked the battery voltage with a good multimeter and compared that to see which one is accurate?

My experience is the inverter reading is not very accurate but my controller is closer to the multimeter reading.
The only 2 pieces are the inverter all in one thing and the battery

The only 2 pieces are the inverter all in one thing and the battery

Get a good multimeter and check the battery volts and see if that is accurate.

What is the reading on your inverter saying for volts?

Did you set the inverter for 24 volts?

So to start with to give easy information to work off of, I have a 24v lifepower4 200ah battery and a pip 2724lv-mr 24v inverter. I've tried many things, but have so far been unable to get the inverter to read the battery charge correctly.
When you say "battery charge" do you mean SOC? The percentage charged you battery is?
If so, don't trust anything the inverter says, unless you have some sort of communication cable between the battery and inverter. Otherwise, the inverter is just going to do a terrible job a guessing the SOC. Use the SOC from the battery or get a good feeling for the relationship between SOC and voltage.
The second idea is about seeing if anyone knows how to safely charge such a system as mine using ev charging stations. Would using these two things in tandem work and be safe?
Power converter
adapter
Seems like a bad idea.
Screenshot_20231106-193854.png

If you can convert directly from the 220-240 vac (the adaptor makes available available) to charging the battery, that would be better.
Maybe this will fit your needs:

When you say "battery charge" do you mean SOC? The percentage charged you battery is?
If so, don't trust anything the inverter says, unless you have some sort of communication cable between the battery and inverter. Otherwise, the inverter is just going to do a terrible job a guessing the SOC. Use the SOC from the battery or get a good feeling for the relationship between SOC and voltage.

Seems like a bad idea.
View attachment 176496

If you can convert directly from the 220-240 vac (the adaptor makes available available) to charging the battery, that would be better.
Maybe this will fit your needs:
I see your thinking, but I don't think the box is saying I couldn't use it this way, more that you couldn't use it to power things coming from your ev, not the other way around. I'd be more skeptical but i've read multiple posts of people saying they use basically this exact setup.
What i was looking for with the soc issue is basically just how i can setup that inverter to read the battery accurately, as i usually am using my computer and have watchpower up, so it would be nice to be able to read what the soc is from that, but I don't believe watchpower will work with just my battery.

I see your thinking, but I don't think the box is saying I couldn't use it this way, more that you couldn't use it to power things coming from your ev, not the other way around.
Up until this year, most EVs didn't output AC voltage so I doubt your theory. However the "not designed for American 220v" is the part that concerns me more. It's designed to run 110 vac electronics on European or rest of the world 220 vac. The issue is the neutral and ground. They aren't treated the same on US and foreign 220 vac systems.
I'd be more skeptical but i've read multiple posts of people saying they use basically this exact setup.
K, good luck. Sounds like you've already made up your mind.
What i was looking for with the soc issue is basically just how i can setup that inverter to read the battery accurately, as i usually am using my computer and have watchpower up, so it would be nice to be able to read what the soc is from that, but I don't believe watchpower will work with just my battery.
Well, does your inverter support battery communication? I don't think so. Your options are to use voltage or get a different inverter that does talk to the battery.

An AC charging station is just a power lead, the charger is built into the car. So, my thinking is you could possibly get a receptacle off amazon/ebay and wire it up to your own charger

You can charge from a level two charging station.
But it will require the correct receptacle (easy enough).
And the communications to talk to the charging station (not as easy).
You have to trick the station into believing that it is plugged into an EV. Or it won't provide any power.

Back