diy solar

diy solar

EV Wallbox - charging from off peak grid

IanW

I have my system grid tied but have a SOFAR 6000 ES hybrid inverter and 2 x Pylontech US2000 batteries. In the last 3 months I have not used any Grid power at all, dropping only to about 40% on batteries during the night. I have around 5000 watts of PV generation on a good day (averages around 4000W).

So I need to install a 7Kw callbox to charge my new Renault ZOE electric car. My solar system will not run this and I do not want to have it discharging the batteries. Is there a way to allow the Wallbox to take off peak power from the grid and not effect my solar power and the rest of the loads.

I do have a Time of Usage mode on the inverter but reading up on it, it looks to be an off peak battery charge, but wondering if the batteries are fully charged then would it then direct grid power to the Wallbox instead.

Stupid question??

I contacted Solar and they told me to trick the battery into not discharging by setting Storage Mode to Time of Use (so set my off peak grid power time) and to set max battery charge at 100W (I think this is the minimum setting). The battery will not discharge if it is set to charge. That will work perfectly as I think I will only need a couple a hours per night with a 7Kw charger.

Thanks snooker for the help.

Ian

Back