diy solar

diy solar

Off-Grid F150 Lightning Charging

automatikdonn

Becoming Offgrid
I know @Will Prowse already did an F150 video quite some time ago. I think there have been some updates since then (hopefully). I bought one a few weeks ago and I wanted to share my setup. I am using an MPP-8048 and 11.4kw autotransformer (completely disconnected from grid) to function as an off-grid EV charger.

I am not the biggest fan of EV's - I think the battery chemistry has a long way to go. That said, we are making about 50% more power than I planned on. The house load has dropped with the replacement of the central HVAC and my original load calc was built off the old system. (hail storm broke the old ones). We decided to fill this overproduction with an EV. So far it's working exactly as intended. I am quite happy overall so far.

The F150 lightning in my humble opinion is the best possible solution of us in the off-grid community. Here is why
1. Availability
2. Long term maintainability
3. DISCOUNTS
4. Flexibility

I am going to do a series of videos on my experience - here is episode 1. Let me know what you think. I value the opinions of those on this forum, you have been so very helpful in my journey.

I apologize in advance for the horrendous noise the inverters made in the video, it's not in the post edited version - only seems to show up in YT.

Back