diy solar

diy solar

EV200 500A battery disconnect relays, Model EV200AAANA

Mercruiser

New EV200AAANA battery disconnect relays normally sell for $160+ at Newark, Jameco, Digikey, etc. See datasheet here
These relays are used on EVs. They are rated for 900 VDC, 500A. This is very useful for a battery disconnect relay. The other nice feature is the "ECONOMIZER" on the coil. The reduces the current draw to keep the relay closed. I measured it at 0.123A at 13.2V.

Battery Hookup is selling used relays for $12.50 each.

I bought two (when they were $25 each). I'm using them with an SBMS0 BMS. I received both relays. They are in very good condition and operate normally. I just ordered one more as a spare.

Note that I do not endorse Battery Hookup's suggestion to use a cheap BMS with these relays.

Those are the ones I’m wanting to use with the overkill bms as a controller
i bought 6 today for this project

Looks like these would be for 12/24V configs?

"The relay can handle up to 500 amps and works up to 900vdc but the trigger wires work between 9-36v which is perfect for all 12v and 24v systems."

Looks like these would be for 12/24V configs?

"The relay can handle up to 500 amps and works up to 900vdc but the trigger wires work between 9-36v which is perfect for all 12v and 24v systems."
They can be used for any battery system voltage, up to 900vdc.
You just need 12vdc control power.
These came from 600v and 800v EV battery packs. They have nominal 12vdc coils , because that's the control voltage in EV's.

They were used in an ESS application, so they have an unknown operation history. Assumed to be low wear, but with a contractor you don't know.

Here is a better link the engineering datasheet. (The one I posted earlier is a sales datasheet.)

The 2nd page has some interesting info on current interrupting capability, capacitor pre-charge, and service life:
  • On a 24 VDC system, it can interrupt 5000A, twice. That's pretty impressive for a switch (not a breaker/fuse).
  • "End of life when dielectric strength between terminals falls below 50 megohms @ 500VDC". My bench PS doesn't go that high! I would like to test that on these used switches.
  • An "80% capacitive pre-charge (make only)" significantly reduces the life of the switch. Better to pre-charge to 90% or higher.

Last edited:
0.2 milli ohms at 200 ampere in the specifications, this could be tested at some lower amperage and be reasonably measured at 12-24 volts dc bus voltage?

like with an INA219 which could measure the voltage on each side of the contactor

evaluating the condition of the used relays seems like a nice option to have

Back