diy solar

diy solar

Extend Victron Smart 712 signal

Jwood

Just installed Solar 15k with Pytes Batteries with PV pro. PV Pro is a bit of a pain as it's not in real time. I really like the Victron Smart 712 display on it's app and would like to install one, but my power room is way out of range of the bluetooth signal. I've seen where the raspberry pi can be used to wifi the data, but with only having the monitor and no victron account, I don't know if it's possible. Anyone find a fairly simple way to extend the signal?

Last edited:
The BT radio is in the display. IIRC, the wire is 10m. If you can move the display closer by the length of the cable, that effectively extends the BT range.

If you get a raspberry pi (RPi) and install Venus OS, you get a VRM account for free. You would also need a VE.Direct to USB cable to connect to the RPi

If you go the RPi route, you can save money by getting the BMV-700, 702 or Smartshunt as you don't even need BT at that point.

If you get a raspberry pi (RPi) and install Venus OS, you get a VRM account for free. You would also need a VE.Direct to USB cable to connect to the RPi

If you go the RPi route, you can save money by getting the BMV-700, 702 or Smartshunt as you don't even need BT at that point.
Are you a RPi convert, @sunshine_eggo ? ? How do you like it so far?

I think eggo is correct, 10m cable on the 712 screen

You could just get an RJ12 extender & have the cable pretty much as long as you like ? Mount the display in your house ?

Are you a RPi convert, @sunshine_eggo ? ? How do you like it so far?

For this type of limited application, absolutely. Where it gets sticky is when you need to add multiple VE.Direct and VE.Bus devices. You can easily approach the price of a Cerbo-S when you factor in the additional X to USB adapters, but for something like this, it's a no brainer as you're at < $100 for the VRM hardware.

Been very happy with the performance of the RPi and the JBD, etc., driver made by @Louisvdw :

Last 7 days... just sitting getting it's data logged. :)
1696342032585.png

My only complaint is the SoC drops much faster than the actual SoC - probably a BMS setting, but it would easily be fixed with daily cycling.

I think eggo is correct, 10m cable on the 712 screen

You could just get an RJ12 extender & have the cable pretty much as long as you like ? Mount the display in your house ?

2.5 Accessories

• RJ12 UTP cable - use in case the supplied 10m (32ft) RJ12 cable (the cable between the shunt and the head unit) is too longor too short. These cables are available in a variety of lengths of 30cm up to 30 meters (1ft up to 98ft).

And someone made their own from CAT6 cable:

30m might be the limit.

Attachments

• 1696342104656.png
    1696342104656.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 0
The BT radio is in the display. IIRC, the wire is 10m. If you can move the display closer by the length of the cable, that effectively extends the BT range.

Huh. You are saying I can just use the VE.Direct -> USB module, plug that into a spare RPi running this OS and I end with with VRM portal access? I have a Multiplus II and an VE.Bus -> USB module already, can I plug that into the same RPi and get a similar result from the Multiplus II? Could I do both at the same time?

I have a mutliplus II and a LFE battery in a Pelican case for a mobile power station setup. I put a BMV-702 on it to give a better capacity remaining indicator than just using a cheap voltage readout (LFE voltage range is SOOOOO flat). It would be neat to be able to change configuration or monitor the multiplus without having to actually plug a laptop into the VE.Bus -> USB module like I do now.

Huh. You are saying I can just use the VE.Direct -> USB module, plug that into a spare RPi running this OS and I end with with VRM portal access?

Yes.

I have a Multiplus II and an VE.Bus -> USB module already, can I plug that into the same RPi and get a similar result from the Multiplus II? Could I do both at the same time?

MK3-USB from MP II to RPi USB, yes.

I have a mutliplus II and a LFE battery in a Pelican case for a mobile power station setup. I put a BMV-702 on it to give a better capacity remaining indicator than just using a cheap voltage readout (LFE voltage range is SOOOOO flat). It would be neat to be able to change configuration or monitor the multiplus without having to actually plug a laptop into the VE.Bus -> USB module like I do now.

Summary:

RPi running VenusOS with internet connection.
BMV-702 connected to RPi USB via VE.Direct to USB cable (genuine Victron cable recommended)
MPII connected to RPi USB via MK3-USB adapter.

You will have Full VRM access with remote monitoring and control equivalent to any GX device minus features specific to any GX device.

You would be able to download VEConfig files from VRM, edit them in VEConfig on your PC and then upload them to VRM.

with superuser access, you will get access to popular modifications and add-ons like Node Red and GUIMods. My simple RPi + JBD BMS UART to USB with GUImod remote console:

1700872501129.png

That VRM visible here:

Just installed Solar 15k with Pytes Batteries with PV pro. PV Pro is a bit of a pain as it's not in real time. I really like the Victron Smart 712 display on it's app and would like to install one, but my power room is way out of range of the bluetooth signal. I've seen where the raspberry pi can be used to wifi the data, but with only having the monitor and no victron account, I don't know if it's possible. Anyone find a fairly simple way to extend the signal?
@krby

As @sunshine_eggo posted...

Andy at Off Grid Garage did a good job in a video a couple of years ago on how to use a Rasberry Pi 3b+ with the Victron Venus OS that is available free of charge to monitor through Wifi or Ethernet internet connection any where. I use it to view and program with PC or cell phone or iPad. Used the video instructions to connect Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor Shunt to the Venus OS and can be used with other Victron VE.Direct Bus Equipment. Andy connected a Victron Solar Charge Controller.

What a great free service Victron has with the Venus OS. Able to look back days, weeks and even months of data compiled every minute.

Andys video link. (May need to start the video from the beginning)

Started with the USB to VE cable Andy made, but switched to the Victron cable because read of possible problems with home made cable.

Rasberry Pi 3b+
www.amazon.com/dp/B07P4LSDYV

Rasberry Pi 3b+ Case and Power Supply

Rasberry Pi 3b+ Micro SD Card

For under $100 it has been worth every penny.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-25 234858.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 234858.png
    152.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back