diy solar

diy solar

Got the EG4 XP up and running! Need some help lol

I’ll have to ask my IT buddy and see if he can figure it out lol. That’s out of my scope for sure haha
Just had a thought, enable a hotspot on your phone, using 2.4Ghz, connect the dongle to that then connect to it with your phone.
That's worked for me with SA when I want to update to the newest beta, might work in your situation as well.

Just had a thought, enable a hotspot on your phone, using 2.4Ghz, connect the dongle to that then connect to it with your phone.
That's worked for me with SA when I want to update to the newest beta, might work in your situation as well.
I may take a look at that was well. My IT buddy said he’d stop by and take a look at my router, he said often there’s options to “unlock” the 2.4 settings as well. If not, I’ll try that route and see if it’ll work.

I also have a Verizon hot spot I may try to play around with.

It appears that most of the issues were resolved before I joined the discussion. However, I'd like to mention a few points regarding the monitoring connection. First, ensure that your Wi-Fi router supports 2.4GHz frequency, and consider turning off auto-negotiate on the router as it may help. Additionally, setting your router to WPA2 security, and avoid using special characters like $, *, and # in the password have proven helpful when trying to connect the Wi-Fi dongle.

It appears that most of the issues were resolved before I joined the discussion. However, I'd like to mention a few points regarding the monitoring connection. First, ensure that your Wi-Fi router supports 2.4GHz frequency, and consider turning off auto-negotiate on the router as it may help. Additionally, setting your router to WPA2 security, and avoid using special characters like $, *, and # in the password have proven helpful when trying to connect the Wi-Fi dongle.
I sent you a message on Facebook. I initially tried to pair it with my router as is, using 5G which obviously did not work.

I later set up the 2.4 and tried to pair it with that, it said successfully paired but then didn’t work. It may need to be removed and re-set up? Password also does not contain any special characters as mentioned above.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2483.png
    IMG_2483.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 7
I sent you a message on Facebook. I initially tried to pair it with my router as is, using 5G which obviously did not work.

I later set up the 2.4 and tried to pair it with that, it said successfully paired but then didn’t work. It may need to be removed and re-set up? Password also does not contain any special characters as mentioned above.
I went ahead and removed the dongle from the station, and it should be good to try again. Also, I would make sure the correct password is entered. Unfortunately, the app will say successful even in the event that the password was entered wrong.

I went ahead and removed the dongle from the station, and it should be good to try again. Also, I would make sure the correct password is entered. Unfortunately, the app will say successful even in the event that the password was entered wrong.
Copy! I’ll give it a go when I get home a little later. Thanks!!

Since I’ll be using AGM batteries for the time being and appear to be part of that “lower” group of users, what recommendations do you have to get the SOC to read at least closer to actual? I’ve tried to set the settings via the local connect option which did not work and then again on the unit.

I was able to get it closer on the unit as far as charge, discharge, EOD and other settings but I’d like to get it as close as possible to not kill my batteries prematurely.

I do plan on making the jump to server rack batteries as soon as I find some for a decent price.

Since I’ll be using AGM batteries for the time being and appear to be part of that “lower” group of users, what recommendations do you have to get the SOC to read at least closer to actual? I’ve tried to set the settings via the local connect option which did not work and then again on the unit.

I was able to get it closer on the unit as far as charge, discharge, EOD and other settings but I’d like to get it as close as possible to not kill my batteries prematurely.

I do plan on making the jump to server rack batteries as soon as I find some for a decent price.

I would recommend setting all discharge and charge values according to voltage. Unfortunately, without direct BMS communication the inverter would do it's best to calculate the current SOC of the batteries. However, it would not directly know.

Here is a voltage/soc estimation chart to use for your settings, many of them out there. I used a similar chart at first with my DIY LifePo4 pack until I got the Victron Shunt SOC integration working with the 6000xp.

Image.jpeg

Last edited:
The customer code is either
Signature! or
signature!
I think thats what I remember.

Your SOC will NEVER be accurate in the 6000xp unless you have EG4 batteries or other compatible batteries in a closed loop communication setup.
If you are using an unsupported battery, you will need to set all automation to voltage.

Solar assistant NEEDS a network connection. Bluetooth monitoring thru the app would let you use your wifi on your phone.

You usually have to select "read" every time. This may be your problem.
So, the 6000xp doesn't have a shunt on board, EG4 doesn't have a shunt available the diy battery crowd, and it is unable to read the Victron BMV shunt data?

So, the 6000xp doesn't have a shunt on board, EG4 doesn't have a shunt available the diy battery crowd, and it is unable to read the Victron BMV shunt data?
I don’t think any inverter has a shunt built in. Schneider has a $500 batttery monitor you can add to the inverter purchase. If you use closed loop comms the SOC comes from the BMS. Else you can do some custom things to get the information to the inverter.

I have been using lead acid mode for my LiFePo4 batteries since november and the Soc has never been anywhere but between 47%-72%
Never have I registered a SOC lower or higher than that even tho I have fully charged and discharged my batteries many times.

I would recommend setting all discharge and charge values according to voltage. Unfortunately, without direct BMS communication the inverter would do it's best to calculate the current SOC of the batteries. However, it would not directly know.
Still not showing the dongle via the app, only local connect works.

Attachments

• IMG_2490.png
    IMG_2490.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2491.png
    IMG_2491.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 7
That is strange. Have all the other troubleshooting steps have been attempted?
Affirmative. I have one last thing I’m going to try with a different route. It wouldn’t connect to the 2.4Ghz internet. Password is very basic with no special characters. It again said “successfully connected, dongle will restart” and then nothing.

I then tried to add the dongle via the online portal and got this message.

I’m going to retry with a different router and I’ll report back. Signal strength was also decent with a 20-30ft distance between and even left the door open for connection purposes.

Attachments

• IMG_2490.png
    IMG_2490.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2491.png
    IMG_2491.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 7
New router is setup and running. Dongle is connected and router shows it as a client however no packets have been sent, so it’s connected but not transferring info.

Attachments

• IMG_2546.png
    IMG_2546.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2544.png
    IMG_2544.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 5
I am not sure what to make of this.

You have batteries connected?
No frowny face on the 6000xp?
Nope! Inverter is running well, happy face displayed, batteries are connected. Local connect works great, dongle said it connected and with the new router, I can monitor clients that connect to it.

I tested it with my phone on both 2.4 and 5ghz and both worked. The router shows the dongle but still shows offline via the main log in app and online profile.

Not sure how to proceed now 🤷‍♂️

Back