diy solar

diy solar

Got the EG4 XP up and running! Need some help lol

It has been reported that Solar Assistant does NOT work with the 6000XP Ethernet dongle - only the WiFi one. SA can be connected with WiFi or Ethernet - doesn’t matter - but apparently the Ethernet dongle for the 6000XP has a network port blocked that SA requires to be able to connect to it.
Good to know! Thanks

If you are not using batteries with communication, you need to set the battery to lead acid mode. That is most likely your problem.
I had the unit up and running, I ran my house off of it for 3-4 hours yesterday.

Initially, I set the unit up via the touch screen, set lead acid and some of the DC charge/discharge settings. At that point I was unable to make a profile as I needed the customer code to do so.

As soon as I created a profile, I went back out to the garage, connected to the dongle and that’s when things got weird.

Both the app and online profile said unable to connect, indicating that there’s some sort of wifi issue. As of last night, it wouldn’t output AC power anymore.

EPS switch was on, set to lead acid and I ran the unit for a few hours on and off yesterday without any issue, just couldn’t edit via the app yet.

I’m going to check setting 21 again but when I checked the settings during the AC issue, I still saw they appeared to be what I left them at.

Good to know! Thanks
I also want to look into this route. I also saw someone mentioned there’s a way to program a esp32 micro controller to a can bus and run my BMV to where the XP will see it. Someone wrote the code already for it.

Those are the 2 things I want to look at next, other than getting this thing set properly to work lol

I had the unit up and running, I ran my house off of it for 3-4 hours yesterday.

Initially, I set the unit up via the touch screen, set lead acid and some of the DC charge/discharge settings. At that point I was unable to make a profile as I needed the customer code to do so.

As soon as I created a profile, I went back out to the garage, connected to the dongle and that’s when things got weird.

Both the app and online profile said unable to connect, indicating that there’s some sort of wifi issue. As of last night, it wouldn’t output AC power anymore.

EPS switch was on, set to lead acid and I ran the unit for a few hours on and off yesterday without any issue, just couldn’t edit via the app yet.

I’m going to check setting 21 again but when I checked the settings during the AC issue, I still saw they appeared to be what I left them at.
The 6000XP has a end discharge voltage setting that is dependent on SOC or battery voltage. The 6000 xp will not resume operation until the battery voltage is 3v above this set point after it has been triggered.

This may be whats going on.

The 6000XP has a end discharge voltage setting that is dependent on SOC or battery voltage. The 6000 xp will not resume operation until the battery voltage is 3v above this set point after it has been triggered.

This may be whats going on.
Battery voltage was good. EOD was set at 42v and the BMV and unit were reading around 50V.

The unit magically was outputting AC power this morning with no issue, it may have just been a weird “freak occurrence” and needed to reset.

I can’t get the dongle to actually connect to the wifi however. I’ve tried multiple times, it says successful and then just….doesnt.

I can see the unit online via local connect but when I fully log into the app, it says offline, which I’m assuming is because it didn’t connect to the network.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2473.png
    IMG_2473.png
    101 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2474.png
    IMG_2474.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2476.png
    IMG_2476.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 5
I can see the unit online via local connect
Using local connect utilizes the same wifi that would be connecting to your router. Repeatedly connecting via your phone to the wifi hotspot is not going to help.
Are you attempting to connect to the 2.4 Ghz wifi channel? The dongle does not play with 5Ghz

I experienced what you are experiencing when I first got mine. Im not sure what helped.
This could be a wifi signal strength problem.
If you are feeling ambitious, try moving the wifi router closer.

Where is your router in relation to the 6000xp?

Using local connect utilizes the same wifi that would be connecting to your router. Repeatedly connecting via your phone to the wifi hotspot is not going to help.
Are you attempting to connect to the 2.4 Ghz wifi channel? The dongle does not play with 5Ghz

I experienced what you are experiencing when I first got mine. Im not sure what helped.
This could be a wifi signal strength problem.
If you are feeling ambitious, try moving the wifi router closer.

Where is your router in relation to the 6000xp?
Router isn’t too far away but I think you might have hit the nail on the head. It’s about a 20ft distance and my phone connects just fine next to the unit. It may be trying to connect to the 5G vice the 2.4. I’ll take a look at my router.

I’m not even seeing a option on the router for 2.4

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 6
Router isn’t too far away but I think you might have hit the nail on the head. It’s about a 20ft distance and my phone connects just fine next to the unit. It may be trying to connect to the 5G vice the 2.4. I’ll take a look at my router.

I’m not even seeing a option on the router for 2.4
Some quick duckduckgoing shows that's a modem / router combo.

I'd recommend buying dedicated router that supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and hardwiring it to the modem. Even better buy a dedicated cable modem (if your provider allows it) and adding a dedicated router.

You may find these helpful.

Some quick duckduckgoing shows that's a modem / router combo.

I'd recommend buying dedicated router that supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and hardwiring it to the modem. Even better buy a dedicated cable modem (if your provider allows it) and adding a dedicated router.

You may find these helpful.

Well, looks like I need a router lol. I can’t play with the configuration at all so local connect only for the time being

Oh, you probably got one of those fancy ones with 1 SSID and the router chooses what to dish out. You can usually seperate the two and stop it from doing that in the settings of the router.

If you can get into settings
I’ll have to ask my IT buddy and see if he can figure it out lol. That’s out of my scope for sure haha

I just finished setting up my two eg4 6000xp's I used a android phone and a android tablet ( which is not logged in to EG4). The WifI dongle does not see 5g at all only 2g.:(

I also want to look into this route. I also saw someone mentioned there’s a way to program a esp32 micro controller to a can bus and run my BMV to where the XP will see it. Someone wrote the code already for it.

Those are the 2 things I want to look at next, other than getting this thing set properly to work lol
Here is the link I posted about it. Victron Shunt to CAN for the 6000xp/and others. Been working flawlessly.

Thread 'EG4 6000xp CANBUS Comms with Victron Smart Shunt w/DIY Battery'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...with-victron-smart-shunt-w-diy-battery.80538/

As for WiFi, I use a eero 6 router which does not separate the channels and it works fine.

Here is the link I posted about it. Victron Shunt to CAN for the 6000xp/and others. Been working flawlessly.
I am all in on this idea. I have read everything on that thread. I got my esp32s and the second board already. I have taken a look at the code and downloaded it to my computer but that is as far as I have gotten. I barely know anything about it but I have flashed Victrons VenusOs on a Pi and also solar assistant on a Pi.

Is flashing the esp code similar? Or is there another program I need to use to put it on there?
Is the code complete as is? Of course keeping in mind the directory hierarchy?

What else do I need to know? I figure this isnt a bad place to chat about this since the OP is curiuos as well.

I am all in on this idea. I have read everything on that thread. I got my esp32s and the second board already. I have taken a look at the code and downloaded it to my computer but that is as far as I have gotten. I barely know anything about it but I have flashed Victrons VenusOs on a Pi and also solar assistant on a Pi.

Is flashing the esp code similar? Or is there another program I need to use to put it on there?
Is the code complete as is? Of course keeping in mind the directory hierarchy?

What else do I need to know? I figure this isnt a bad place to chat about this since the OP is curiuos as well.
The individual that wrote it assembled it all in visual studio which was new to me and I’m on a Mac, that added a few more challenges. I downloaded and installed visual studio, downloaded the code, and made a few mods in the config.h for my specification and flashed.

Note some pins may be different GPIO numbers on various ESP models. Make sure you have the pinout diagram for your ESP to make sure all the wiring is correct.

Note some pins may be different GPIO numbers on various ESP models. Make sure you have the pinout diagram for your ESP to make sure all the wiring is correct.
Will do.

How do you flash the esp32?
Usb from esp32 to computer, then connect to new port? With what program?

Will do.

How do you flash the esp32?
Usb from esp32 to computer, then connect to new port? With what program?
I flashed within Visual Studio with the ESP connected to usb port. There is an option to build then load (write to ESP). I’m heading out of town tomorrow night. If I have time tomorrow I’ll do a screen recording of flashing one (I have a spare setup since it was so cheap) and post it. If not tomorrow by Friday latest.

It took me a few hours to navigate Visual Studio. I’m used to the standard ESP tools to flash.

I flashed within Visual Studio with the ESP connected to usb port. There is an option to build then load (write to ESP). I’m heading out of town tomorrow night. If I have time tomorrow I’ll do a screen recording of flashing one (I have a spare setup since it was so cheap) and post it. If not tomorrow by Friday latest.

It took me a few hours to navigate Visual Studio. I’m used to the standard ESP tools to flash.
That would be pretty sweet. I think I can figure it out with what you just mentioned.
I knew I was missing something obvious and Visual Studio was it. Thank you.
You dont need to do a video for me (yet) lol. I think I got it.

That would be pretty sweet. I think I can figure it out with what you just mentioned.
I knew I was missing something obvious and Visual Studio was it. Thank you.
You dont need to do a video for me (yet) lol. I think I got it.
It’s been perfectly stable. I took a risk as I decided to let it run at our cabin where it’s installed with the 6000xp which is about 3.5 hrs away. Glad I did to test it out.

I do have a separate esp sending data from each JK BMS to Home Assiatsnt so I can see cell level details since we’re hours away and I can make decisions, if needed.

It’s been perfectly stable. I took a risk as I decided to let it run at our cabin where it’s installed with the 6000xp which is about 3.5 hrs away. Glad I did to test it out.

I do have a separate esp sending data from each JK BMS to Home Assiatsnt so I can see cell level details since we’re hours away and I can make decisions, if needed.
That is awesome! Right now Im using team viewer to control a 8 year old galaxy S7 that is sitting right next to the BMS. Its been working great!

Back