diy solar

diy solar

Extra controller?

slowbutsure

Hi

I have 2.4kw of panels and 6kw lithium battery. 24v system. I have 50 amp Victron charger. Through the summer there has been many times when it reached the 50amp limit so didn’t get full benefit of the panels. I’m wondering about adding another 50 amp controller for the winter (East midlands U.K.). But I haven’t been through a winter yet with Solar and don’t know if it would be worth the investment for the winter. My thought was in sunny periods the lithium batteries would charge very quickly, which is why I changed to them from lead acid.

Any thoughts?

Are you planning on adding more panels, for the additional SCC? Or splitting up your existing panels for the two? It really comes down to how much production you think that you are currently missing out on. And whether or not it's worth the cost of adding a second SCC.

Are you planning on adding more panels, for the additional SCC? Or splitting up your existing panels for the two? It really comes down to how much production you think that you are currently missing out on. And whether or not it's worth the cost of adding a second SCC.
I’m not changing the panels. The gain I am looking for is to charge the batteries in a shorter time with less light in the winter.

What are you going to hook up to the extra charge controller? You can't connect it to the same panels. The two will compete with each other to find the MPP.
It would be better to get a larger charge controller.

What are you going to hook up to the extra charge controller? You can't connect it to the same panels. The two will compete with each other to find the MPP.
It would be better to get a larger charge controller.
I’d split the panels between the two controllers. A larger controller is too expensive.

depending on how much you think you are losing, you may could get by with something smaller (and cheaper) than another 50 amp controller. Maybe a 30 amp victron

diy solar

diy solar
Back