diy solar

diy solar

Factory second hand batteries

Returns are an immense problem for sellers. Places like amazon allow returns for no reason. I do buy returned items with warrantee like at amazon and they are like new, just an open box. Also buy from liquidators and most times they are just a new open box and never used. I've bought #20K cars with no warrantee at dealer auctions, It all depends on your tolerance for risk,

Returns can definitely be a headache for sellers, but sometimes, they can work out in our favor as buyers. I've had good experiences buying second-hand factory items, especially from places like Amazon, with warranties.
I recently visited a flea market in Sacramento and saw some great deals on refurbished items. It's all about weighing the risk versus the potential reward, but I've found that with a bit of caution, buying a factory second-hand can be a smart way to save money without sacrificing quality.

Last edited:
My powerwall is made (over last 6 years) of 100% 'second hand' batteries. The key is to order from a *reputable* source by which I mean the capacity / viability of the cells is properly represented. And of course, don't overpay :)

My key recommendation is one should plan to test 2nd hand or used or surplus cells for capacity, self-discharge, IR (and possibly heaters). This will let you assemble a well matched, verified group of cells and pretty much ensure a good battery. If you don't want to test or have time or equipment - then plan for ability to swap out sagging ones that do not stay in balance (or whatever).

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back