diy solar

diy solar

Failed MPP system

just Doi

Greetings,
I bought a system from a dishonest provider (Peter Goodin, Cad-mec Ltd of Waitati, who utterly refused to backup these products) which featured a MPP Solar PIP2424HS Charger/Invertor. During the first year the charger side slowly failed and by the time I realised it had failed completely the battery bank was sulphated. I temporarily setup an independent charger and not long after the invertor side failed as well. I could not recommend these units AT ALL. Doi, The Ark, Aramoana, Aotearoa/New Zealand

Sorry to hear about your lemon system.

Your address is familiar to me.
I watch the Northern Royal Albatross live feed from Taiaroa Head.
You live in paradise, I hope that provides some solace.

Cheers from Toronto, Canada.

Sorry to hear about your lemon system.

Your address is familiar to me.
I watch the Northern Royal Albatross live feed from Taiaroa Head.
You live in paradise, I hope that provides some solace.

Cheers from Toronto, Canada.
Wow! what a small world, my (unfinished) boat is visible in the Albatross cam, directly across the water, Cheers, Doi

Attachments

• The Ark.png
    The Ark.png
    404.1 KB · Views: 18
Yep I also had bad MPP system and lost money on it, welcome to the club we are slowly growing. I will NEVER buy an MPP system again no mater how many ppl tell me they are good.

There is just no way you can have an all in on system that is only $300 and be of any quality. Hell my 60amp mppt cost almost $300 by itself then you add in an inverter, a switcher(if that is the correct name) box, then fuses, wires, and and and. It just cant be dune unless you make MAJOR cuts on the quality.

Greetings,
I bought a system from a dishonest provider (Peter Goodin, Cad-mec Ltd of Waitati, who utterly refused to backup these products) which featured a MPP Solar PIP2424HS Charger/Invertor. During the first year the charger side slowly failed and by the time I realised it had failed completely the battery bank was sulphated. I temporarily setup an independent charger and not long after the invertor side failed as well. I could not recommend these units AT ALL. Doi, The Ark, Aramoana, Aotearoa/New Zealand
More like Peter "Badin"! Sorry to hear about your woes, there's no warranty remedy available?

Whilst your retailer might be refusing to honour the warranty, have you approached MPP Solar directly? I feel sure they would not like their products being slated in public forums...

Whilst your retailer might be refusing to honour the warranty, have you approached MPP Solar directly? I feel sure they would not like their products being slated in public forums...

If they truly did care about there products they would not allow bad units out of there factories. Look at a company like battlebron they test every unit before is hits the market. They also don't seem to care who is selling there units the seller i used was in the same city are MPP and I had to fight to get them to take it back.

I was interested in their Amazon listings a while back but was surprised at how many reviews like yours there were about these things failing within a year. Good to know, thanks. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I was interested in their Amazon listings a while back but was surprised at how many reviews like yours there were about these things failing within a year. Good to know, thanks. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
I just don't want to see others get ripped off, making your own is not that hard and you can use better quality parts.

Funny how the MPP site has NO way to buy the product from them, don't they have faith in there products?(Im not insulting you just MPP)

I just don't want to see others get ripped off, making your own is not that hard and you can use better quality parts.
One feature that I think is key to an installation for me is the auto transfer switch. The rest of it, you are right- inverter, charge controller, etc. But the part that I would really be interested in, on a home scale (not the small scale, which are also easy to get) an auto transfer switch when the battery bank gets low enough to switch over to grid power.

For that specific feature, do you have a suggestion for parts? Especially on a 5000W scale (be it for 240V split or 120V main).

One feature that I think is key to an installation for me is the auto transfer switch. The rest of it, you are right- inverter, charge controller, etc. But the part that I would really be interested in, on a home scale (not the small scale, which are also easy to get) an auto transfer switch when the battery bank gets low enough to switch over to grid power.

For that specific feature, do you have a suggestion for parts? Especially on a 5000W scale (be it for 240V split or 120V main).

Looks like a toy but seems to get good reviews:

Looks like a toy but seems to get good reviews:

Cool.
As it stands, I don't see that one being ok for whole house- because the wire in and out is not secure. I could be wrong about that. But for smaller stuff, it would not need to be inspected.

Cool.
As it stands, I don't see that one being ok for whole house- because the wire in and out is not secure. I could be wrong about that. But for smaller stuff, it would not need to be inspected.

For something bigger and "up to code" I would just use any one of the standard auto transfer switches that most people use for generators. Just use the batteries (inverter) as the main input, which will shut off with a low voltage protection device, and it will automatically switch to the "backup" input which would be the grid. Lots of confusion had me looking for easier options, but once you start researching how they work you'll realize like I did that it's pretty simple.

Last edited:
Hi
There is an ‘official’ dealer in Australia who offers repairs and extended warranty on these systems. Perhaps try giving them a call.https://mppsolar.com.au/
Regarding the batteries there are systems that help recover sulphated batteries.

Regards

Thing is for special "projects", tinkering, amusement, hobby, demonstration, casual use, etc. Most of these amazon items are ok. Powering up the kids play fort out in the yard, yes epever it up..... if you need home power with high reliability, flexible function, and moderate continuous power flows my suggestion is;

"Get what you want the first time laddie, dont buy twice!"

Serious power electronics and components do not have to be exotic and highest cost, but there is a quality level with corresponding cost.... the value will actually be there, for decades.

Back