diy solar

diy solar

Failed MPP system

For something bigger and "up to code" I would just use any one of the standard auto transfer switches that most people use for generators. Just use the batteries (inverter) as the main input, which will shut off with a low voltage protection device, and it will automatically switch to the "backup" input which would be the grid. Lots of confusion had me looking for easier options, but once you start researching how they work you'll realize like I did that it's pretty simple.
Never thought about setting it up like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is just no way you can have an all in on system that is only $300 and be of any quality. Hell my 60amp mppt cost almost $300 by itself then you add in an inverter, a switcher(if that is the correct name) box, then fuses, wires, and and and. It just cant be dune unless you make MAJOR cuts on the quality.
Hi - where would you get an MPP for $300? They are about $1200 for a decent one!
Regards

Never thought about setting it up like that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hi - The MPP already has an auto switch over function built in. It will switch over to mains if the battery gets below a set point. You can also set it up to bypass to grid if the load is too great. There is a great write up on this on Wills blog. BTW his conclusion is that they are a great bit of gear but what would he know! Right?

Greetings,
I bought a system from a dishonest provider (Peter Goodin, Cad-mec Ltd of Waitati, who utterly refused to backup these products) which featured a MPP Solar PIP2424HS Charger/Invertor. During the first year the charger side slowly failed and by the time I realised it had failed completely the battery bank was sulphated. I temporarily setup an independent charger and not long after the invertor side failed as well. I could not recommend these units AT ALL. Doi, The Ark, Aramoana, Aotearoa/New Zealand
Hi
Read this blog post here. Might help a bit.

Funny how the MPP site has NO way to buy the product from them, don't they have faith in there products?(Im not insulting you just MPP)
Hi
You can buy directly from MPPSolar. They sell on a number of platforms and they are shipped directly from the factory in Taiwan.

Ah, it was in response to a poster " my mppt charge controller cost 300$ "

What i thought you meant. Mpp(t), not MPP system.
The market used to exclude poor performers a.d unreliable equipment. Now a company can slap a label on a mass produced half joke of a piece of equipment and in a week there will be hundreds of thousands of "reviews" 'hooked it up today works good' and before anybody realizes its junk, its no longer available half the units are in a garbage can amd the sellers and makers profit immensely.... sad story.

Ah, it was in response to a poster " my mppt charge controller cost 300$ "

What i thought you meant. Mpp(t), not MPP system.
The market used to exclude poor performers a.d unreliable equipment. Now a company can slap a label on a mass produced half joke of a piece of equipment and in a week there will be hundreds of thousands of "reviews" 'hooked it up today works good' and before anybody realizes its junk, its no longer available half the units are in a garbage can amd the sellers and makers profit immensely.... sad story.
Hi
The problem here (as in lots of posts) is posting just to bash a product without attempting to solve the problem. You have also jumped on the band wagon - along with a lot of other posters - without actually showing any knowledge of the product itself. Has it been setup correctly ( I don’t think so judging by the post) and there are no details to make an informed decision. A lot of replies also demonstrate a lack of knowledge about the product but bang on about it being “Chinese junk” and then recommend a product that is “branded” as being non - Chinese made when it is assembled from Chinese made components. Read the post by Will Prowse on these MPPSolar products to get an idea. I posted a link above somewhere. Also watch his YouTube reviews on them.

They have been in business for many years, are based in Taiwan, and (in my humble opinion) suit a market segment perfectly. The are many knockoffs of these which is another story altogether.
Regards

Oh,
Hi
The problem here (as in lots of posts) is posting just to bash a product without attempting to solve the problem. You have also jumped on the band wagon - along with a lot of other posters - without actually showing any knowledge of the product itself. Has it been setup correctly ( I don’t think so judging by the post) and there are no details to make an informed decision. A lot of replies also demonstrate a lack of knowledge about the product but bang on about it being “Chinese junk” and then recommend a product that is “branded” as being non - Chinese made when it is assembled from Chinese made components. Read the post by Will Prowse on these MPPSolar products to get an idea. I posted a link above somewhere. Also watch his YouTube reviews on them.

They have been in business for many years, are based in Taiwan, and (in my humble opinion) suit a market segment perfectly. The are many knockoffs of these which is another story altogether.
Regards
I did see his reviews. They were pretty thorough and id consider using it. My comment did not mention the unit or china...... at all. Taiwan is absolutely known to be a prime source of electronics amd light industrial machines amd tools..... respectable as any.

These new coming devices do need a jaundiced eye connected to an open mind though and i am so glad for adventurous early adoptors.

I cannot afford any mistake or botch or risky selection for the narrow margin i run on installs and you would never (repeat never) forgive me, would you??

Oh,
I did see his reviews. They were pretty thorough and id consider using it. My comment did not mention the unit or china...... at all. Taiwan is absolutely known to be a prime source of electronics amd light industrial machines amd tools..... respectable as any.

These new coming devices do need a jaundiced eye connected to an open mind though and i am so glad for adventurous early adoptors.

I cannot afford any mistake or botch or risky selection for the narrow margin i run on installs and you would never (repeat never) forgive me, would you??
Additionally, ill let Will, and everybody else speak and think for themselves.
His personal grid tied home power system is made in israel by Solar Edge........ that speaks for itself and sells itself no matter what people think they are buying and its their choice in the end.

As much as i like to take care and contribute with accuracy, it would be an all day job for each question or survey as it sometimes is. Its just a forum and i reserve the right to comment broadly and shoot from the hip sometimes.

Hi
You can buy directly from MPPSolar. They sell on a number of platforms and they are shipped directly from the factory in Taiwan.
If its appreciated, my humble system does incorporate a cheap, chinese inverter with only the most basic function. I found the one that was efficien amd reliable with the components that were suitable and within my budget for a temporary solution it worked well enough to be in use here since 2013 or so..... but i only install something like it for people who are providing whatever they have or can afford and understand that everything we do has comprimises and we can do it with your budget but its your baby..... and im not responsible, diy assistance.

An installation for somebody that has to meet the standard of the industry, customer expectations and safety code is a totally different animal than (diy) shed lights projects or entertainment center ups systems or raspberry pi data logger and relay comms power supplies or even some home or home backup power systems. It just is.

Hi - The MPP already has an auto switch over function built in. It will switch over to mains if the battery gets below a set point. You can also set it up to bypass to grid if the load is too great. There is a great write up on this on Wills blog. BTW his conclusion is that they are a great bit of gear but what would he know! Right?
I know that.

I was asking about assembling your own hardware that does what the MPP system does. Not everyone is a fan of their hardware, and if one can assemble the same thing for less money, well, that's quite interesting.

The great thing about assembling one piece wise is that when parts fail, you replace that specific part, instead of the entire thing. Which is also interesting that people partially assembled a system....

Hi

Regards
No the real problem is people that will blindly defend a company that has not proven is worth. Many companies have been in business for years and still make cheep crap because its a global market and there are lots of new customers to rip off. You are trying to disregard actual customers that have had bad experiences. That is no different to fanboys that will make excuses for there favorite company no mater how bad they get. No company deserves loyalty for ANY resin, they must always prove there worth. If they make a bad product they must bend over backwards to make it right, not just sit back and let others fight for them.

No the real problem is people that will blindly defend a company that has not proven is worth. Many companies have been in business for years and still make cheep crap because its a global market and there are lots of new customers to rip off. You are trying to disregard actual customers that have had bad experiences. That is no different to fanboys that will make excuses for there favorite company no mater how bad they get. No company deserves loyalty for ANY resin, they must always prove there worth. If they make a bad product they must bend over backwards to make it right, not just sit back and let others fight for them.

Are you sure you got the genuine article?
It seems there are knockoffs too.

I know that.

I was asking about assembling your own hardware that does what the MPP system does. Not everyone is a fan of their hardware, and if one can assemble the same thing for less money, well, that's quite interesting.

The great thing about assembling one piece wise is that when parts fail, you replace that specific part, instead of the entire thing. Which is also interesting that people partially assembled a system....
Hi
Absolutely you can assemble your own system using you choice of components but it will cost much more. Plenty videos of that on YouTube and in Fact I think Will has done one.
Regards

Back