diy solar

diy solar

Feedback Please

Thanks! Yes, I have a gasoline "diesel heater" in the plan. I didn't list it here as it's not a material electrical load. Interesting thought on the shorepower, I actually don't think I'll get many chances to use even 30a, as we'll probably be totally off-grid more often than at a traditional RV campsite. Thanks for the review!
Sweet. The inverter is 70a charger and with 13kwh you're looking at around 8 hours using 1700w of shore. 30A at 80% is only 2880w so you'd get just over 1000w from shore before it starts taking away from charging and taking longer. So if your batteries are dead and you want to just go to a CG overnight to recharge, cook and all that it could take 12hrs plus. The 50a gives you an additional 2000w to use while charging.

Although your heat/cool and all that isn't AC so it might not be too beneficial but its nice to have a 50a cable and can still use 30a or 15a by just using adapters.

We do a lot of day/weekend trips so will spend all day burning tons of power, then go to a CG for the night to relax and recharge then head to another spot the next day at 100% for a full days use.

OPs running 2s2p 12V for 24V.
I am aware. And also wants to run water heater, cooktop, air conditioner ... all high draw appliances. The series batteries will get unbalanced when pushed hard. Just run 24v batteries and eliminate the problem, instead of adding more electronics to control it.

Hello, I'd love to get some opinions on the following electrical system for my Ford Transit, High Roof Extended Wheelbase.

Key usage pattern will be "Family adventure wagon", with a Sleep4/Seat4 configuration. Long road trips primarily in the SouthEast and SouthWest, but also Canada and the far-north.

Key electric Loads:
1. Air Conditioning. 24v UndermountAC Minisplit. 16,000BTU. Pulls 1,100 Watts on high.
2. Water Heater. 120V Bosch 4 Gallon Hot Water tank. 1440 watts @ 120V
3. Fridge - Isotherm Cruise 195. 4 amps @ 24V.
4. Microwave Oven: GE Combo Convection/Broiler/Microwave: 1050 watts @120V
5. Induction Cooktop: TBD. Two burners @ 1800 watts.
6. Radiant Heat Flooring: 24V Heating Film 50cm wide 130W/m² 3m = 195 watts
7. Starlink 24V ~70-80 watts
Other standard loads including lights & chargers.

Batteries
4X 12v 280AH, 13,440 Watt Hours
2S2P, 24V
SOK Heated: https://www.us.sokbattery.com/product-page/12v-280ah-lithium-battery-built-in-heater-and-bluetooth

1 Victron Battery Balancer

Solar
:
4X Rich Solar 250 watt panels
2P2S
1,000 watts.

Charge Controller: Victron SmartSolar 50/100

Charger/Inverter: Multiplus II 3Kva 24V

Shorepower: Standard 30Amp connection

Alternator Charging:
Dual Ford Alternators
Dual Ford Batteries
Sterling "Saturn" 12V to 24V 120A Input | 60A output
Connected via CCP (170amp Max)

12V Stepdown:
Victron Orion 24V to 12V converter.

CerboGX, a rasberri Pi for HomeAssistant.

I expect most charging will be done via Alternator and Solar, with infrequent opportunities for shorepower.

Does any of this feel grossely mismatched?
It sounds to me like you have done your homework very carefully and checked, double checked and so on....I think you have built a terrific system! My first thought was that you would probably not have enough room for all of the solar that you would need to pull this trick off properly, but with the additional 24v HD Alternator, you may be alright, but once you start using the mini-split for more than 6 hours at a time while using your other electrical toys, could make for running the engine for a long spell without any cool air for the alternator to cool off properly, unless you have the system that automatically stops the charging process every 20 minutes for 16 minutes off to cool down. I might suggest buying a 24v inverted Honda portable genny to pick up the inevitable slack that WILL happen more often than you may want to realize.
I myself have a 34' class A V-10 RV that I converted to a solar and Lithium powerhouse like you have, only I am at 12 volts just to keep things simple. I cleared my roof of EVERYTHING but two maxxaire fans and put 2400 watts of 200w each panels up there for a total of 12. I still have room for two more but I still need to be able to access the fans on occasion to clean or replace them. I also have 10 Battleborn 12v LiFePo4 batteries in parallel in my two passenger rear bays along with all Victron components (3 solar controllers, a 3k Multiplus inv/chrg, and the CCGX monitoring system to keep an eye on things. I also added a 9k BTU Pioneer inverted Mini-split that lives in a welded in cargo basket on my RV trailer hitch that heats and cools my entire RV along with a small 5k BTU window unit in the livingroom window for really hot Arizona summers. I also have a 5500 watt generator on the RV but I have to force myself to run it because I never need it to be honest, but if I were boon docking full time I can assure that I would be using it more often. I live in the SE corner of Arizona in WIllcox and we have plenty of sunshine until the WInter hits and then it's overcast more than full sun every day. I can run my Mini-split for about 9 hours overnight but then I have to shut it down completely until about 6PM to collect the power from old sol, but even then the batteries are not generally going to be full....that is due to needing at least twice the amount of solar array to do the task properly, and three times the array to be able to charge up AND run my AC during the day and night. I suppose I could add another 4-6 batteries to the mix, but again - I lack the solar to be able to tell anyone that "sure, you can run you AC 24/7 or even all night and be just fine, but you will find your own 'sweet spot' where energy conservation is concerned.
I also live fulltime and manage an RV park down here so I am plugged in for the most part just because it's free and convenient, but when I go boondocking - I use my system exclusively and it's a real treat! I also have a regular apartment fridge/freezer that sips the power and replaced my RV fridge that had a blowout and died on me two years ago....
Go enjoy your new system and also spread the good word about this lifestyle of solar and Lithium batteries, it's a real gamechanger for all of us!

Back