diy solar

diy solar

Feeding AIO into Sol-Ark Smart Load port

DIYrich

Solar Wizard
I have a Sol-Ark 15k, and due to Utility Limitations, I am restricted to 25kW, so paralleling a 2nd 15k is not an option. Utility won't accept "soft" 25k export limit through programming.

I'm thinking of putting the new Growatt SPH10000TL-HU-US into the Smart Load port of the Sol-Ark, and moving a few heavy loads to the Load port of the Growatt.

In addition, I am enrolled in the State's Energy Storage Solutions program, so the more I export from Battery to the Grid, the more rebates I get. I can move PV to the Growatt, and have it charge the battery at the same time the Sol-Ark takes from the battery and exports to the Grid (the ESS program somehow gets a report from the inverter). There is something in the program about not curtailing Solar PV in order to export more, so the Growatt avoids that problem.

While on-grid there shouldn't be any problem. I have 1-1 net metering, so Grid will support loads on both inverters. When the Battery is full, the Growatt exports through the SA's Smart Load port.

When grid down, UL1741SA should limit how much excess PV the Growatt sends back to the SA. During an extended grid down, I will change the Growatt setting to use battery before grid, and that should free up some capacity for the SA to support other loads.

Any issues that anyone can see?

Could you keep them separate or even in sync and just sell from growatt to grid? It allows that

Could you keep them separate or even in sync and just sell from growatt to grid? It allows that
For ESS, it is better to charge battery.

To connect the GW directly to the grid, I would have to split the grid line. The smart load port is unused, so an easy connection. Also in grid down, the GW can still supply power.

For ESS, it is better to charge battery.

I don't understand. The growatt can charge the battery too.
To connect the GW directly to the grid, I would have to split the grid line. The smart load port is unused, so an easy connection. Also in grid down, the GW can still supply power.
What do you mean split the grid line? Couldn't you just connect a breaker from the growatt to the same panel the solark breaker is connected to?

Another option to achieve the 25kW capacity with a single Sol-Ark 15K-2P unit is to utilize the GEN port and add AC coupled power. The Sol-Ark is capable of simultaneously having 19.2kW of AC coupled power using the GEN port + 15kW of DC coupled power through the MPPTs. Software will limit maximum production between both AC + DC coupled power to 32kW.

So for you application, if you have 15kW of DC coupled solar through the MPPTs, you have the ability to add 10kW of AC coupled power (micro inverters, or string inverter with PV) to the GEN, and the total system production can be 25kW. Due to the 200A rated GRID/LOAD terminals for the Sol-Ark 15K-2P, this power can be fed to backup loads or exported to the utility if present.

I don't understand. The growatt can charge the battery too.

If the Growatt discharged PV power to the grid directly, then it would bypass the Sol-Ark, and not count as Battery Discharge (I only get paid the 1-1 net metering for that).

If the Growatt charged the battery with PV, then the Sol-Ark would take the power from the Battery and send that to the grid (and I get paid the 1-1 net metering plus the "grid support" bonus for discharging the battery to the grid).

What do you mean split the grid line? Couldn't you just connect a breaker from the growatt to the same panel the solark breaker is connected to?
In my install, there is no "panel" between the SA and the Meter. Grid comes directly into the SA.

Another option to achieve the 25kW capacity with a single Sol-Ark 15K-2P unit is to utilize the GEN port and add AC coupled power. The Sol-Ark is capable of simultaneously having 19.2kW of AC coupled power using the GEN port + 15kW of DC coupled power through the MPPTs. Software will limit maximum production between both AC + DC coupled power to 32kW.

So for you application, if you have 15kW of DC coupled solar through the MPPTs, you have the ability to add 10kW of AC coupled power (micro inverters, or string inverter with PV) to the GEN, and the total system production can be 25kW. Due to the 200A rated GRID/LOAD terminals for the Sol-Ark 15K-2P, this power can be fed to backup loads or exported to the utility if present.
The Growatt is AC Coupled power to the SA. The GW is also capable of directly charging the battery. It is more efficient to charge the battery directly from solar to avoid the DC->AC, and AC->DC conversion (as would happen with Enphase microinverters).

If the Growatt discharged PV power to the grid directly, then it would bypass the Sol-Ark, and not count as Battery Discharge (I only get paid the 1-1 net metering for that).

Oh that's interesting. So there is a way for them to know that the sell to grid is coming from the solark? Cool.
If the Growatt charged the battery with PV, then the Sol-Ark would take the power from the Battery and send that to the grid (and I get paid the 1-1 net metering plus the "grid support" bonus for discharging the battery to the grid).

Ok copy that.
In my install, there is no "panel" between the SA and the Meter. Grid comes directly into the SA.

The Growatt is AC Coupled power to the SA. The GW is also capable of directly charging the battery. It is more efficient to charge the battery directly from solar to avoid the DC->AC, and AC->DC conversion (as would happen with Enphase microinverters).
Understand for conversion purposes, but just to clear confusion are you planning to wire the GW to the same battery being used with the SA inverter? The reason I ask is because this would not be recommended since the GW grid terminal would also be wired into the SA GEN input as the AC coupled solution. One issue would be that the SA would not be able to properly display correct SOC values, and using voltage mode would be a requirement in the battery settings.

Having the GW AC coupled into the Sol-Ark, the power would prioritize loads first due to the AC pass-through from one AC terminal to another. The DC coupled power produced by the SA would then be helping cover remaining loads (if necessary) and then charging battery DC --> DC.

Back