diy solar

diy solar

Final Values in Order on the MT-50, Epever 4210An, LifePO4

bass-o-matic

Hiya.

I successfully? use the forums to program my Epever 40A MPPT with an MT-50. I think.

By the way the MAGIC TO MAKE THE MT-50 work that I think people miss is.... you may see TWO params on each screen but you want to hit SAVE after each one. This allows it to do its math under the hood in a more understandable way for you.

Also, the key is to set the lower values first... and hit SAVE! Then you can work up.

I would love some validation / have 2 questions.

280AH EVE cell pack with an OverKill 120A bms.

Question: I clearly don't understand something. I thought that you should ALWAYS have a battery plugged in to the Epever Charge Controller while the solar panels are making power.

Since the BMS will stop charging at around 0 Celsius. Doesn't that mean it will open the circuit and the Charge controller won't have a battery to charge? isn't that a bad thing?

I guess it's OK for the BMS to open the circuit?

Or should I find a way to tell the Charge Controller, "Hey, you stop charging before the battery is disconnected by the BMS!"

Final Values in Order on the MT-50

Over volt disconnect voltage 14.5v
Charge limit voltage 14.2v
Over volt reconnect 14.2v
Equal charge, 14.2v
Boost charge 14.2v
Float charge, 13.5v
Boost reconnect, 13.2v
Low-voltage reconnect 12.8v
Under volt reconnect 12.2v
Under volt, warning, 12.0v
Low-voltage disconnect 11.1
Discharge limit 11.0
Equalization time 10 min
Boost time 10 min”

Last edited:
Question: I clearly don't understand something. I thought that you should ALWAYS have a battery plugged in to the Epever Charge Controller while the solar panels are making power.

Since the BMS will stop charging at around 0 Celsius. Doesn't that mean it will open the circuit and the Charge controller won't have a battery to charge? isn't that a bad thing?

I guess it's OK for the BMS to open the circuit?

Or should I find a way to tell the Charge Controller, "Hey, you stop charging before the battery is disconnected by the BMS!"

Your BMS should only be used as a last defense. That said, at 0C it is the BMSs job to cut off the battery - does the EPever have any temperature limit configuration option? When I built my system, I explicitly went with a charge controller that wouldn't mind having solar connected without a battery.

That said, I don't think it's really a problem, as long as the first time it's connected with a battery so it 'learns' the battery voltage:

Back