diy solar

diy solar

Finally going to go solar, questions and ideas.

Truckinthumper

Been full time RVing for the last year and figured out exactly what I can and cannot live with/without.

I dont really run the A/C very often, actually, hardly ever. I have run it off a 15 amp connection without any issues.
Same with the heat.
I dont really park where I need heat and A/C.

That said, I am pulling a constant 450 or so watts at any given time of the day.
I am usually powered up for 16-18 hours a day.
I would like to say I pull about 4 KWH per day.

I do run the following everyday:
Keurig, 3 x a day (1500 watts for 1 min each)
Microwave stuff for no more than 6-8 min a day.
Various chargers everyday.

I next week I will see what I pull in 7 days (KWH) running off the generator.

I am thinking I can get away with about 3 x 100 Ah batteries, about 400-600 watts of panels. Still have the genny of a need to charge the batteries.

The converter/inverter I have in the RV can do any battery type, so I can always run that for charging the single house battery I have.

I would like to connect the solar system right to the 50 amp service connection to make the install as simple as possible. I can run a 50/30/15 amp cable to the backside of the 50 am RV connection.

I have all the space I need on the inside of the RV for batteries and other equipment.
I have a virgin 40 foot roof and cant fit a bunch of panels on it.

Pretty sure I could just run an EcoFlow Delta Pro and 400w of panels, but that would be around $5K.
Can I do better, and or cheaper, with building something?

I would put as many panels as possible. Run to a victron mppt and a multiplus 2x120 either 2000w or 3000w. With some lithium batteries. You can always add more batteries and even additional mppts.

The victron mp 2x120 will allow you to run 50a split phase and pull the full 12kw. Then turn it down to under 15a and run off an extension cord if needed.

Another option is use 120v 50a instead of 240v which will be 6kw but since victron inverters allow power assist you can use close to 8kw at times then when under 6kw it'll recharge. (80% of that if over 3 hours, victron will change it).

The ecoflow and others are good for random things but not great to rely on.

The nice part of a good inverter is it'll work the entire time, you can unplug shore and everything stays on.

That said, I am pulling a constant 450 or so watts at any given time of the day.

I guess I don’t understand how you’re pulling 450W all day long with the loads you listed. And 450W for 16-18 hours per day would be 7.2-8.1kwh per day not 4kwh.

If your 4kwh estimate is correct seems like your actual loads are less than 450w.

If you were to run the Keurig and microwave simultaneously, you’d need a massive inverter or more than one inverter. Or just be sure to never run both at once.

What about a fridge or hot water heater, do those run on electric or are they propane only?

Been full time RVing for the last year and figured out exactly what I can and cannot live with/without.

I dont really run the A/C very often, actually, hardly ever. I have run it off a 15 amp connection without any issues.
Same with the heat.

I am thinking I can get away with about 3 x 100 Ah batteries, about 400-600 watts of panels. Still have the genny of a need to charge the batteries.

The converter/inverter I have in the RV can do any battery type, so I can always run that for charging the single house battery I have.

I would like to connect the solar system right to the 50 amp service connection to make the install as simple as possible. I can run a 50/30/15 amp cable to the backside of the 50 am RV connection.

I have all the space I need on the inside of the RV for batteries and other equipment.

Pretty sure I could just run an EcoFlow Delta Pro and 400w of panels, but that would be around $5K.
The batteries are the best place to get started. You'll need a proper charger as well as solar charger unless your inverter has a sufficient charger.
You also need to nail down the roof (pardon the pun). If you want to minimize holes in the roof, look into 2020 aluminum extrusions at t-nutz.com. You may be able to "float" the panels a few inches above the roof on a rack made of 2020 extrusions. This improves panel cooling and provides roof shade as well as limiting holes made in the roof. Before you can shop for panels, you must figure out the sizes of spots available on the roof for panels. 40 x 8 foot is a lot of space.

Same with the heat.

If you are thinking 3 x 12V 100Ah thats 1280Wh each, so, 3840Wh, you will be straining the batteries every day.
And only way "4kWh" will survive on them is with STRONG solar production each day.

As otherz have pointed out, odds are good your daily is liklely over 8kWh...
So, first step is get an accurate total energy consumption.

Same with the heat.

I run my Rv with Delta Pro and extra battery 7.2 Kwh and 1600 watts of solar on roof, it was the easiest install I have done. I ran mine thru a auto transfer switch behind my load center and everything including Ac runs when I'm in a campground or boondocking. For $3100 you can get the same 7.2Kwh DP and EB on their ebay refurbished site. same 5 year warranty and new. I'm using one without problems and price can't be beat. The DP ultra coming out next month is larger and has a better form factor. It can do split phase 240v if you need that. Price? With the DP I would go for 1600 watts of panels configed in 40to 43 voc volt range, 3s2p to get as close to the max input of the DP. With this setup I can run my one Ac unit during the day when needed with good sun on panels and not deplete my battery bank. Diy'ed you should do it for $4000. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144944757802?epid=3059995564&hash=item21bf617c2a:g:Bn8AAOSwQyxlcHkz

Attachments

• Untitled_1.3.4.jpg
    Untitled_1.3.4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230809_201107 (1).jpg
    20230809_201107 (1).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 4
I guess I don’t understand how you’re pulling 450W all day long with the loads you listed. And 450W for 16-18 hours per day would be 7.2-8.1kwh per day not 4kwh.

If your 4kwh estimate is correct seems like your actual loads are less than 450w.

If you were to run the Keurig and microwave simultaneously, you’d need a massive inverter or more than one inverter. Or just be sure to never run both at once.

What about a fridge or hot water heater, do those run on electric or are they propane only?

450 is a peak. I am probably doing closer to the low 300s. I get this number from a smart surge protector. But, to be honest, I only use it when connected to shore power, so I may be a bit more generous with power consumption. When running off the genny, I am a bit more conservative in use.
Fridge is 100% 12v as is all the lights and other RV specific items. Everything else is 120V. Water heater is gas, but has an option for 120.

I am moving today and will run the surge protector off the genny this rest of the week to see.

I also dont really run the microwave and coffee at the same time. Cant remember doing it anyways.

If you are running an absorption style fridge on electric, then this is a typical load (at least on mine). As already stated, it will drain your desired battery bank over night.
I doubt it. It runs off the lead acid battery every night and has yet to drain it.
I dont have a great monitor on the lead acid, but I do monitor volts.
it will drop from 13.6 to 12.8 after about 8 hours or so. If it wont kill a single lead acid, I doubt it will kill 3 lipos.

Back