diy solar

diy solar

Finishing up my design for my 1200w RV build

Welp, I finally wired in my multiplus! I used Tom Morton's wiring idea for a contact switch. The switch disconnects shore power and bridges L1 and L2 for the multiplus to feed. I ended up buying 6/3 wire at HD and extending the main shore feed over to my battery bay, and a return run to feed from either shore or the inverter. I even managed to run an A/C in testing, but will be adding soft starts in the near future.
I need to finish up wiring the shore to inverter feed, but decided to get a couple more cuts of 6 gauge from HD rather than cut up the remainder of my 6/3 that I can use for other things.

So the inverter use cases that this will support:
  • Stand alone - all solar
  • Hybrid - add inverted power to shore/generator power - L1 and L2 bridged to the box but NOT toward shore - shore can be 50a but it'll only use one leg to power the inverter.
  • Full shore power - inverter bypass, shore power goes directly to the panel like the factory intended.
The inverter/charger will always get power from the shore wiring. The ability to disconnect the inverter output from the internal breaker isn't a requirement but it's actually a nice feature.
In the end, I can create 12 volts from either my 24/12 converter or turn on my power converter in a pinch. In general I just leave it turned off but in the event hardware failure I can give up efficiency as needed. Heck, sometimes I turn on the power converter to let the battery bank charge faster off solar.

Reactions: Dzl
Welp, I finally wired in my multiplus! I used Tom Morton's wiring idea for a contact switch. The switch disconnects shore power and bridges L1 and L2 for the multiplus to feed. I ended up buying 6/3 wire at HD and extending the main shore feed over to my battery bay, and a return run to feed from either shore or the inverter. I even managed to run an A/C in testing, but will be adding soft starts in the near future.
I need to finish up wiring the shore to inverter feed, but decided to get a couple more cuts of 6 gauge from HD rather than cut up the remainder of my 6/3 that I can use for other things.

So the inverter use cases that this will support:
  • Stand alone - all solar
  • Hybrid - add inverted power to shore/generator power - L1 and L2 bridged to the box but NOT toward shore - shore can be 50a but it'll only use one leg to power the inverter.
  • Full shore power - inverter bypass, shore power goes directly to the panel like the factory intended.
The inverter/charger will always get power from the shore wiring. The ability to disconnect the inverter output from the internal breaker isn't a requirement but it's actually a nice feature.
In the end, I can create 12 volts from either my 24/12 converter or turn on my power converter in a pinch. In general I just leave it turned off but in the event hardware failure I can give up efficiency as needed. Heck, sometimes I turn on the power converter to let the battery bank charge faster off solar.
Got a link to Tom Morton's idea?

The Multiplus includes an intelligent automatic transfer switch. What is the point of adding a manual transfer switch between the Multiplus and shore power?

The Multiplus includes an intelligent automatic transfer switch. What is the point of adding a manual transfer switch between the Multiplus and shore power?
My 50a rv has two legs, l1 and l2. The switch combines them to be a single leg from the multiplus. When I'm on shore power and want full feeds the switch let's me. There is an automatic switch made but Its pricy enough that I'd just buy another multiplus over that.

My 50a rv has two legs, l1 and l2. The switch combines them to be a single leg from the multiplus. When I'm on shore power and want full feeds the switch let's me. There is an automatic switch made but Its pricy enough that I'd just buy another multiplus over that.
Do you actually need both legs of shore power to operate your RV? That is 6900 W.

Most 50A RVs have a lot of power hungry stuff... 2 A/C units, an absorption fridge on electric and an electric water heater, microwave. That's 6000W or so right there not counting surge or any 12V power usage. When on shore power, you get to use the juice all willy-nilly-like.

If you get a second Multiplus they will handle split phase power in and out without an external transfer switch.

I don't see the point of adding this.

Transfer switch is a lot cheaper than a second multiplus, and that's not counting the cost of a larger bank to feed them and the presumed additional consumption... :)

On an inverter, you pay attention. On shore power, you turn everything on because you can. :)

Reactions: Dzl
Most 50A RVs have a lot of power hungry stuff... 2 A/C units, and absorption fridge on electric and an electric water heater. That's 4500W or so right there not counting surge or any 12V power usage.
Ok. Do 50A RVs use 230 or do they just have 2 banks of 120V breakers?

I would just use a pair of 3000W Multiplus inverters in a split phase configuration it it was my system.

2 banks of 120V breakers. That's why you can short L1 and L2 and power the whole RV. Nothing actually uses 240V, but the A/C units are typically on different legs to help level the load.

Ok. Do 50A RVs use 230 or do they just have 2 banks of 120V breakers?

I would just use a pair of 3000W Multiplus inverters in a split phase configuration it it was my system.
Yup, if I want more it's getting a second multiplus. For $30 I'll deal with having the switch for a while.

Resurrecting because I’m planning the same install. What I can’t wrap my head around is the risk. Is there a scenario you have to be cautious of - like what happens if you’re in the position that bridges the legs and you connect to a 40 amp service?

My combiner switch has a couple of modes.
1. each leg works normally but the multiplus is inline on one leg.
2. Both legs of the panel are bridged and fed from the multiplus. Only one leg from shore power is connected to the multiplus. The second is disconnected.

To be clear, the multiplus is always connected to one leg of shore power, the switch just connects the second leg of the panel to either the multiplus or shore power.

I can easily add a second multiplus and would just eliminate the switch.

30A is 120VAC, L N and G only
50A is 240VAC split phase, L1, L2, N and G.

A 30-50A adapter that allows a 50A umbilical to plug into 30A service bridges L1 and L2, so at the RV AC panel, L1 and L2 are zero to each other but 120V to neutral.

When plugged into 50A service, L1 and L2 are 240VAC to each other and each are 120VAC to N.

If your RV is configured to bridge L1 and L2 to work via a 120VAC source, if you plug into 50A, you'll short L1 and L2 at the 50A outlet and trip the breaker.

If your off-grid system is providing 120/240VAC split phase, it likely needs 50A service and won't work from 30A service.

If you're using transfer switches, you can get around most obstacles.

Just to link things together a bit.
I've now replaced the old Tesla pack with the LifePO4 pack.
Battery order was:
Wrote up a bit about the RPi and monitoring here:
Documented the battery build here:
Eyeballed my PV layout and pondered more cells:
Installed the new SBMS0, new rev, and I printed a custom mounting box for it:
Did some analysis with my Flir Camera:

Meanwhile I'm still slowly working on my controller integration:

Back