diy solar

diy solar

First Post... Heating/Cooling 8'x8'x8' R-20 structure using: DC Aircon DV1910E-AC/H Capacity: 450W (1,535Btu)?

ChrisClutch

I have a 8'x8'x8' R-20 Structure.
(I can go to R-30 if I have to)

Looking at a simple, easy to use system for off grid Heating and cooling.

I am really surprised there is not plug and play outside the toy junk I see on amazon. (sorry to be negative)

I was looking at this option for heating and cooling since it is available in DC voltage:

https://www.rigidhvac.com/micro-dc-aircon-cool-heat (I have NO affiliation with this group). Put this (https://www.) in front of this rigidhvac.com/micro-dc-aircon-cool-heat if you want to go to RigidHVAC.. (I am new here and do not want to break any rules.

I assume I can get a quality 400W+/- for $250 each. Use 3 of these. Bring in a 1000Ah battery.

Yes, mounting brackets and of course this will have to run the 4 LED bulb in the unit and offer a USB plug in.

I assume I will make a "hot wall" or a mounting section/

Thoughts, has anyone priced this out? $700 for the 3 panels, $750 for the AC/Heat unit, LiFePO4 battery? Deep cycle?

This is where I get a bit lost.

Here are the specs on the Micro AC unit:

DC Aircon DV1910E-AC/H

DC Aircon DV1910E-AC/H​

Capacity: 450W (1,535Btu)​

• 12V DC
  • 5.0 kgs/11.2lbs
  • Refrigerant: R134A
  • Compressor: QX1901VDH
  • Working Amps: 1~8A, (Maximum 25A)
  • Size: 355*170*356mm(14*7*14inch)
  • 24V mini compressor to enable peak performance
  • The airflow rate at the cold air outlet: 28.3CFM
  • Heating Option: PTC Heater
  • Cooling Capacity:
    Cooling: 450W (1,534Btu)
    Heater: 300W (1,023Btu)

Seems like a solar hybrid mini split like from Signature Solar would be a better deal. The 9KBTU unit might be ok for an R20 or R30 512cu ft box.
But there is simply not enough info given on the structure.
R20 where? Just the cieling, or walls too?
What ambient conditions, sun exposure, any eves or shading, and what color is it which are all important for heat gain.

The 1500btu of the rigid unit op listed sounds like woefully not enough unless the structure is extremely efficient and in a very mild environment.

Last edited:
I have a 8'x8'x8' R-20 Structure.
(I can go to R-30 if I have to)

Looking at a simple, easy to use system for off grid Heating and cooling.

I am really surprised there is not plug and play outside the toy junk I see on amazon. (sorry to be negative)

I was looking at this option for heating and cooling since it is available in DC voltage:

https://www.rigidhvac.com/micro-dc-aircon-cool-heat (I have NO affiliation with this group). Put this (https://www.) in front of this rigidhvac.com/micro-dc-aircon-cool-heat if you want to go to RigidHVAC.. (I am new here and do not want to break any rules.

I assume I can get a quality 400W+/- for $250 each. Use 3 of these. Bring in a 1000Ah battery.

Yes, mounting brackets and of course this will have to run the 4 LED bulb in the unit and offer a USB plug in.

I assume I will make a "hot wall" or a mounting section/

Thoughts, has anyone priced this out? $700 for the 3 panels, $750 for the AC/Heat unit, LiFePO4 battery? Deep cycle?

This is where I get a bit lost.

Here are the specs on the Micro AC unit:

DC Aircon DV1910E-AC/H

DC Aircon DV1910E-AC/H​

Capacity: 450W (1,535Btu)​

• 12V DC
  • 5.0 kgs/11.2lbs
  • Refrigerant: R134A
  • Compressor: QX1901VDH
  • Working Amps: 1~8A, (Maximum 25A)
  • Size: 355*170*356mm(14*7*14inch)
  • 24V mini compressor to enable peak performance
  • The airflow rate at the cold air outlet: 28.3CFM
  • Heating Option: PTC Heater
  • Cooling Capacity:
    Cooling: 450W (1,534Btu)
    Heater: 300W (1,023Btu)
1500 btus for 450 watts sounds not so good.

Non vented AC isn't an AC. It's a device that blows cold air out one end, and hotter air out the other.

These would be perfect for cooling a small bedroom area for staying cool off batteries for the over night. You don't need much.

The 450w is likely not the power consumed by the compressor but the heat moving capacity of the system.
Really? I thought BTU's were the heat moving capacity of the system. I assumed watts were the power draw. Could be wrong I guess. Never heard an AC measured in watts other than its power draw.

Really? I thought BTU's were the heat moving capacity of the system. I assumed watts were the power draw. Could be wrong I guess. Never heard an AC measured in watts other than its power draw.
They really don't clarify in the specs very well either way. Amps show 1-7, would need to be more towards 40amps to get that high of wattage input.

Back