diy solar

diy solar

flexmax charge controller snoozing

Jaya

Hi! I replaced old lead batteries yesterday in my system with new lithium batteries and now my controller is snoozing, indicating there's not enough current to charge. Getting in 59v, but no amp. I had to disconnect and reconnect the wiring for the PV array from their breaker box to the controller, but when I had it all back in place yesterday afternoon there seemed to be some current. Any ideas? This is an inherited system; I did not build it. Thus, my understanding of it is ongoing. I put the new lithium batteries in at a balanced SOC, but only at 13.4v, as I live off grid/very remote and ran out of gas for the generator. What should I be paying attention to as indicators for system health?

flexmax 80 outback charge controller
8x140w panels - 1120w
4 206ah SOK - parallel - 12v system 812ah
3000w pure sine inverter

Last edited:
It would help if you listed what Charge settings you input into your FM80. Also what charge settings you left as Defaults. Did you input any other settings changes like in Aux?

Did you read the FM80 Quick Start and larger User Guide? Snoozing and all settings are explained explained there.

Snoozing could be normal depending on your settings as a notification that as per your FM80 charge settings, all charging is completed, there is no load and so the FM80 is snoozing and waiting for the battery to be drawn down below your FM80 charge settings and battery voltage setting, to allow more current for charging. So basically, it's in standby mode based on what settings you input. That's could be quite normal if your FM80 Charge settings are correct and your batteries are full as per the input voltage. Did you calibrate the FM80 voltage to a charged battery voltage?

Lots of info on the Outback forums too.

There's Outback forums? Would you mind sending me a link? I do have a manual for the outback, but it's geared more towards pros than beginners. It lists snoozing as not enough current to charge.

Originally, I changed up the absorption time (1hr), absorption to 14.4v and float to 13.6v for the new lithiums.

So then it was cloudy or a time with no sun on the panels which would also be why there was no current? Your info was vague and not that helpful.

Web Search for Outback Forum

Your charge settings are okay, good enough. But you are still vague with any other settings that you may or may not have made and with any other conditions, such as time of day, weather, sun or no sun, sun angle, location, etc.. Why make readers guess and keep asking for info?

You should find info on the Outback Support forums and lots of frustrated LiFePO4 users.

I have not seen a "pro" user guide. There is a Quick Start guide and a User Guide. It takes time to understand the language and inter relations of settings.

FWIW the Outback Support is pretty poor in my experience, as is their customer support and their customer support communication is abysmal. So bad that after my FM80 failed, I gave up waiting and switched to Victron, which has been so much easier to use and monitor. And the financial hit of the FM80 failure really hurt me and Outback couldn't care less. Fortunately, the other FM80 I bought is still working. Not one word from Outback on why the other one failed. What a PITA!

diy solar

diy solar
Back