diy solar

diy solar

Float Voltage MPP solar Inverter questions

whatismouse

Just got a system up and running in my rv with an MPP 3048lv-mk. I'm new to this stuff so I have a few random questions:

I have float set to 54.4, is it normal that there is almost always 1 amp and sometimes even up to 3 amps of charging occurring in float mode? I was under the impression that LFP batteries drain so slowly, that a "trickle" charge is hardly necessary.

I tried turning float down to 48V because I wanted to see how my batteries would behave without any charging. Would they lose voltage quickly? What voltage would they settle at? Maybe I could get some clues as to why there is constant amperage in to keep them at 54.4V....

As soon as I turned float down, 14 amps started coming out of batteries (previously 0). This would correspond with 100% of my loads being powered by battery, even though I was plugged into shore and with utility set as priority output. Was my inverter prioritizing battery until it lowers down to float voltage? Why?

I actually don't know how to turn charging off just to let batteries rest to see where they want to rest at. Unless I turn off Inverter. Minimum AC charging setting is 2 amps.

Does it make sense to have the float voltage a bit lower, closer to where the batteries would naturally return to from a full charge? Or if they can't sit at 54.4V without constant charging, is that an indication that my batteries are not performing as well as they should? Or is this totally normal behavior?

Just got a system up and running in my rv with an MPP 3048lv-mk. I'm new to this stuff so I have a few random questions:

(1) I have float set to 54.4, is it normal that there is almost always 1 amp and sometimes even up to 3 amps of charging occurring in float mode? I was under the impression that LFP batteries drain so slowly, that a "trickle" charge is hardly necessary.

I tried turning float down to 48V because I wanted to see how my batteries would behave without any charging. Would they lose voltage quickly? What voltage would they settle at? Maybe I could get some clues as to why there is constant amperage in to keep them at 54.4V....

As soon as I turned float down, 14 amps started coming out of batteries (previously 0). This would correspond with 100% of my loads being powered by battery, even though I was plugged into shore and with utility set as priority output. (2) Was my inverter prioritizing battery until it lowers down to float voltage? (3) Why?

(4) I actually don't know how to turn charging off just to let batteries rest to see where they want to rest at. Unless I turn off Inverter. Minimum AC charging setting is 2 amps.

(5) Does it make sense to have the float voltage a bit lower, closer to where the batteries would naturally return to from a full charge? Or if they can't sit at 54.4V without constant charging, is that an indication that my batteries are not performing as well as they should? Or is this totally normal behavior?

(1) It depends how they're being charged. If you're not charging them to full, you'll see current at 3.4V float.
(2) Yes.
(3) because you lowered the float voltage to 48V. Float means to keep the battery at the desired voltage. You lowered that level, so there is no need to supply current to keep the voltage at 48V as it is above 48V. Battery will discharge until it drops to 48V at which time, the SCC will provide enough current to "float" it there.
(4) turn off the inverter and stop charging or supplying loads. You can't see where voltage will settle if you're going to put current in them or take current out of them.
(5) No. LFP may be safely floated at up to 3.4V/cell. Again, if you're not getting them to 100% SoC, you'll see current at 3.4V float.

IMHO, you're making something out of nothing.

Back