diy solar

diy solar

Floating charge on Lifepo4

Sylwood2

I am building my own batteries from lifepo4 cells from china, I also have Dakota Lithium batteries that I install on trolling motors. Im looking for good chargers for these DIY builds. Here's my question... I have tested the Dakota chargers and noticed they charge batteries to 14.35v and then constantly supply battery with 14.35v until unplugged. Isn't this bad to float charge that high? I have read numerous articles about Lifepo4s wanting bulk charge to 13.6-14.4 then STOP charging. I'm reading that a float charge that high WILL degrade battery if left on. I feel like most people with fishing boats will plug in chargers and walk away till they fish again (like we do with lead acid). If the info I'm reading is correct, wouldn't that 11 year warranty come into effect on lots of batteries?
What charger and what charging profile should I look for with this DIY build? Id like to find a reasonable price on these also. I'm thinking the Victron is high.
Thanks for reading.

Id also like to add that we have a switch to turn off all power to batteries and there will be no draw while unattended except for the bms.

Yes, it is bad to keep a lifepo4 held at that voltage. If you are going to have float voltage for one reason or another, 13.5 is considered safe but even there if the battery is not going to be cycled, ie not used for a week, you should still consider turning the charger off.

How many people, outside of the nutjobs like us that is ;) , actually log and count the charge/discharge cycles a battery is given and expect to get X years out of them? Dakota is probably relying on this alone to control warranty claims even if their batteries are happy with being held at elevated voltages for some reason. Also consider that long term elevated voltage won't outright kill the battery it will just push it towards EOL faster (capacity reduction, increased self discharge etc) by allowing the battery to be overcharged. If it still does what ever it is used for after 11 years even if it has considerably reduced capacity or other problems the end user won't see any fault.

There's heaps of technical papers about the effects of over-charging a lifepo4 cell, Google will find them.

Last edited:
Back