diy solar

diy solar

Samlex SEC-1230UL vs Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 for 12V AC Charging

bear0214

The Samlex SEC-1230UL - Is it any good for charging flooded 12V batteries with a 120 AC source vs a Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22?

One advantage I see with the Samlex is it can charge three 12V batteries at the same time vs the Victron (am I reading that right?)

I have two seperate 12V flooded deep cycle batteries I would like to charge at the same time from a 4500W gas generator, then I connect them together to make a 24V bank for a boat trolling motor. OR, should I get the 24V 15A charger and charge both at the same time as a 24V bank?
My pea brain theory is the seperated 12V batteries will charge faster at 12V 30A vs charging both at 24V 15A.

Feedback appreciated.

The Samlex SEC-1230UL - Is it any good for charging flooded 12V batteries with a 120 AC source vs a Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22?

One advantage I see with the Samlex is it can charge three 12V batteries at the same time vs the Victron (am I reading that right?)

I have two seperate 12V flooded deep cycle batteries I would like to charge at the same time from a 4500W gas generator, then I connect them together to make a 24V bank for a boat trolling motor. OR, should I get the 24V 15A charger and charge both at the same time as a 24V bank?
My pea brain theory is the seperated 12V batteries will charge faster at 12V 30A vs charging both at 24V 15A.

Feedback appreciated.
The ip22 12/30 is available in a single output or triple output version like the samlex. Other advantage is total configuration flexibility with the IP22 via Bluetooth with Victron connect app.

However they both have a single negative post so you can't use the 12V unit to charge a 24V battery made up of two 12V batteries that are still connected in series. Assuming 470W draw with an IP22 12/30, it's not a very efficient loading for a 4500W generator. You can run multiple ip22 units in parallel and connect them together via a Bluetooth network so they work in concert to charge.

I would suggest sticking with a 24V charger for a 24V battery (IP22 24/16) potentially a little more efficient as you'll have less heat loss in the cables, due to less amperage.

I would suggest sticking with a 24V charger for a 24V battery (IP22 24/16) potentially a little more efficient as you'll have less heat loss in the cables, due to less amperage.
Brucey, will 24V charging be faster than 12V? - my main goal here is charging speed from my 4500kw genset (should have mentioned that in the OP). I nomally stay at camp grounds that have quiet hours from 10pm to 6am (no noisy generators), that said, I want to charge as much as possible into two - 12V Interstate SRM 27 Deep cycle batteries in a 24V bank for my MinnKota trolling motor.

I am currently getting back to my campground at around 6 or 7 pm from fishing, disconnecting the 24V bank and charging with my two old 6 amp-12v chargers for as long as I can (3-4 hours) off my generator. I really need to get as much SOC into the batteries so I can fish the next day.

I do know I could buy new LiFePo4 with longer charge life, etc. but that is not in my budget at this time. What my next upgrade is (correct me if I am off base) is to buy a bigger/better 12V or 24V charger so I can cram as much stored power into my two SRM 27s (they are new BTW) in as little time as possible.

Thanks!

Will 24V charging be faster than 12V? - my main goal here is charging speed from my 4500kw genset (should have mentioned that in the OP). I nomally stay at camp grounds that have quiet hours from 10pm to 6am (no noisy generators), that said, I want to charge as much as possible into two - 12V Interstate SRM 27 Deep cycle batteries in a 24V bank for my MinnKota trolling motor.

I am currently getting back to my campground at around 6 or 7 pm from fishing, disconnecting the 24V bank and charging with my two old 6 amp-12v chargers for as long as I can (3-4 hours) off my generator. I really need to get as much SOC into the batteries so I can fish the next day.

Can others please comment on this? I am interested in the 24V charge time vs the 12V charge time and what would be the fastest in my limited charge window. Thank you for your comments.

Back