diy solar

diy solar

Fortune 100 Ah or 280 Ah Aliexpress (Will suggested)?

Devin82m

Hey everyone, I kind of have a dilemma. I was about to buy 100 Ah Fortune cells to make a 100 Ah pack, but for not much more I could get 280 Ah cells from an Aliexpress buyer with a US warehouse. I know, at least based on what Will has stated numerous times, that the Fortune are high quality and tough. On the other hand he said these Aliexpress 280 Ah cells are good too, but didn't say they are awesome over and over again. Anyway, I'm wondering what you all would suggest, quality made cells with lower Ah, or slightly less quality higher Ah cells for slightly more?

I want quality if I can do it, and am willing to save up to add 100 Ah at a time, but 280 Ah for about the same price is tempting. I just don't want a bunch problems down the road. This will be used at home as an emergency battery cart for power outages, then it will evolve, slowly, into a whole house solar setup as I can build it.

Stationary for our house.
You don't need fortune batteries with there 3/8" terminals for a stationary application.
Have you considered the 272ah lishen or 280ah eve cells that are popular here?
The pricing is quite attractive.
I totally understand if you want to put some money in an American pocket though.

You don't need fortune batteries with there 3/8" terminals for a stationary application.
Have you considered the 272ah lishen or 280ah eve cells that are popular here?
The pricing is quite attractive.
I totally understand if you want to put some money in an American pocket though.
I have considered them, my only concern is that they will take months to get here and then there being an issue and waiting months more to return them and get new ones back. I am totally open to suggestions being new to the larger cells (I built a small 10 Ah pack a couple years ago). I mean I would love the extra Ah, I've just never ordered something worth so much from China before, Aliexpress shows they would be delivered in June.

I have considered them, my only concern is that they will take months to get here and then there being an issue and waiting months more to return them and get new ones back. I am totally open to suggestions being new to the larger cells (I built a small 10 Ah pack a couple years ago). I mean I would love the extra Ah, I've just never ordered something worth so much from China before, Aliexpress shows they would be delivered in June.
If you need em fast buy American

I purchased 8 aliexpress 272ah batteries, 6 of the 8 had definite "bloat" (ok, not a kilometer but 2-4mm)hehe
I am also giving the group buy lishen batteries a try but as you know, it will take some time to get those.
Returns from aliexpress often involve "customer pays shipping" which is a FORTUNE from US to china; not sure how china gets to ship for pennies, really good negotiatiors???

getting good batteries the first time is always a good way to start a project and worth a bit more money.

I purchased 8 aliexpress 272ah batteries, 6 of the 8 had definite "bloat" (ok, not a kilometer but 2-4mm)hehe
I am also giving the group buy lishen batteries a try but as you know, it will take some time to get those.
Returns from aliexpress often involve "customer pays shipping" which is a FORTUNE from US to china; not sure how china gets to ship for pennies, really good negotiatiors???

getting good batteries the first time is always a good way to start a project and worth a bit more money.
Oh, that's good info Diysolar123! OK, anyone else want to chime in? Because that info may make my decision for me.

I went ahead with the Fortunes for now, I felt better about them for my first large pack.

Is it a bad idea to mix brands down the road?

Mixing battery brands should work in theory. I haven’t paralleled batteries from different manufacturers, and feel anxious about doing it in my own builds.

The 280Ah cells are so appealing to me for reduced parts count per storage. But the fragile aluminum terminals scared me off. I’m happy to put them in a fixture to prevent flexing breathing during cycles.

I went with 100Ah fortune cells, and sticking to 24V system for now. The great robust terminals, lack of breathing of cells, and 5C surge are also nice too.

Mixing battery brands should work in theory. I haven’t paralleled batteries from different manufacturers, and feel anxious about doing it in my own builds.

The 280Ah cells are so appealing to me for reduced parts count per storage. But the fragile aluminum terminals scared me off. I’m happy to put them in a fixture to prevent flexing breathing during cycles.

I went with 100Ah fortune cells, and sticking to 24V system for now. The great robust terminals, lack of breathing of cells, and 5C surge are also nice too.
Great info Curiouscarbon, that makes me feel better. I was discussing it with my wife and it was driving me crazy, but the quality and other features you mentioned are great selling points. Also the fact I have a US location to return them to if there is an issue. I was strongly considering SOK, but they are rarely in stock and when they are they're gone quickly, it's like trying to snipe on eBay last second.

Great info Curiouscarbon, that makes me feel better. I was discussing it with my wife and it was driving me crazy, but the quality and other features you mentioned are great selling points. Also the fact I have a US location to return them to if there is an issue. I was strongly considering SOK, but they are rarely in stock and when they are they're gone quickly, it's like trying to snipe on eBay last second.
I don't think you will regret getting the fortune cells.

If you choose ship from US on your link it shows 5-7 days for delivery.

I did get Fortune cells in AZ in less than a week last year.

If you choose ship from US on your link it shows 5-7 days for delivery.

I did get Fortune cells in AZ in less than a week last year.
I'm not in a huge hurry. A few days or even a few weeks is no big deal, months on the other hand is a bit much. I live in ID and they ship from Salt Lake City, so it should be fairly quick I imagine.

I went ahead with the Fortunes for now, I felt better about them for my first large pack.

Is it a bad idea to mix brands down the road?
I have done exactly the same thing, and the fortune cells are great. But, as you say, they are very expensive compared to the offerings on Aliexpress, linked on Will’s page.

Looking at further expansion I am currently very tempted by the Eve/Lishen 280Ah cells. I do not think mixing would be a problem - Will has also mentioned that it should be ok as long as you do not mix chemistries.

Back