diy solar

diy solar

Forum Bingo

I suspect it would be harder to get it more organized than the FAQ section...although some of those threads could do with some pruning and edits.
We'd still link to the forum posts, including FAQ, from the wiki. It's more about having a TOC or organization to knowledge, as well as opening it to more people being able to contribute with the ability to edit more surface area.

Go for it, but the main FAQ is really just a table of contents.
The differences are technical and semantic. Posts are sequential by time to create threads. Each post has a single owner that can edit it. It's a discussion format, not a knowledge store. The FAQ we have today are great. I love them. Very good job putting that together. But, it puts all the onus on the creator to maintain instead of spreading that ownership out.

I've been a fan of both forums and wikis for decades. In the last place I worked, I made the wiki the core place for collaboration. Took years for it to gain widespread acceptance, but the rewards were big in the long run. You get two primary things from wikis:

- Spreading the ownership for knowledge horizontally making it a collaborative instead of an individual effort.
- An ever growing resource for quickly finding and referencing knowledge.

The forum overlaps in both of those purposes. And yes, you can construct a TOC and other things with it. The end result is not exactly the same though due to the differences in how people can contribute. I and others have had no incentive to add to the TOC in the FAQ, or spend more work on highly re-usable organized knowledge because we know that our threads will get lost in time.

This site is messy because it is very ad hoc and I'm the only contributor and the primary consumer. So, more than anything, I use it to collect links. But, you can see how it attempts a form of organization via the menu system to make finding information easier. And, I can then hyperlink to pieces of it to share knowledge with others.

If that were in a wiki that had at least 10 contributors and over 100 consumers, I'd be more inclined to clean it up and I'd be very happy to see others improve it. It's collaboration that makes wikis rock.

Last edited:
Hahah, I was about to post here saying I accidentally played spoiler to your bingo, but it looks like you pulled it off and then some :D

View attachment 10897
Yup... nearly DOUBLE bingo.

everybody is waking up and spoiling it, or I think I would get double...

THIS is what I meant by timing it... wake up early, and post while nobody is on... my posts are over a few hours, and no bumps till after 7AM...

Reactions: Dzl
Back