diy solar

diy solar

Full potential of solar panels

Solar_freak

Hey guys, I have an eco-worthy dual axis solar tracker with 6 (200) w panels attached to it. I also have 10 (100) w panels on my shed that are hooked up to it. My question is I only have 17+\- v. 50 +\- amps and 600-700watts. Shouldn’t I be making a lot more power than that? They are all wired in parallel.

Hey guys, I have an eco-worthy dual axis solar tracker with 6 (200) w panels attached to it. I also have 10 (100) w panels on my shed that are hooked up to it. My question is I only have 17+\- v. 50 +\- amps and 600-700watts. Shouldn’t I be making a lot more power than that? They are all wired in parallel.

So you have 2,200w of solar total ?

What solar controller are you using ?

So 16p1s? How many fuses and what size wire is that beast running? It sounds like the SCC is expecting its wattage max to be higher voltage * lower amps and you may be giving it more amps than it can utilize.

For example, if a SCC says it can take 1000w, it may be expecting to take 10a at 100v, but if you're only giving it 20v it's still only going to take that 10a it's specced for and nerf the panels.

17v is the a typical "maximum power point" voltage of 36 cell panels as all are wired in parallel.

There are many variables as to why you are not getting your rated/expected output. If all connections and wiring is good I (personally) would separate the pv arrays with their own charge controllers as you are overpanelled about 200%. You may see more potential charge power with 2x mppts.

Also by midday when your tracker is facing UP you are probably already in a high state of charge so the batteries are limiting the power needed from the panels (current tapering off), if you want to test output, hook up a 2000w heater, it will pull the voltage down and pull more power from the panels.

Post the spec on your solar charge controller/MPPT.

Wiring all 12 panels in parallel is probably the root cause of your low production.

Much also depends on the tilt angle of the panels (need steeper in winter, flatter in summer), and the direction they are facing. My little "shed" system has 1,260 watts of panels wired 3S2P, facing due south at a 26.5 degree tilt. They're connected to a Victron MPPT charge controller. On sunny days in the summer I can produce 1,000 watts + for about 2-3 hours of the day, and for a portion of that, I'm almost at the full 1.26 kw. But it's not anywhere near that early in the morning, or late in the day. And on a winter day, I'm ready to jump for joy at anything over 800 watts, and that happens for maybe an hour. So, I think we need to know a bit more about the situation. In some situations, that may be all you're going to get, in winter.

Back