diy solar

diy solar

FULL system failure!

Gabrielle

I've found really excellent troubleshooting advice here in the past that has been of great help, so here goes again.

My system has been working well for the past week or so. It can't handle my fridge so that's been off and I've just been running device chargers mostly. Last night I made a bone broth and left it on low overnight. The crockpot is 100 watts. I realize now that having it going 12 hours after a rainy day could have drained my 100 amp battery to zero, which it is at now.

I woke this morning to find a bubbly fatty mess (crockpot had spilled over, won't do that again..) and the entire system down. That's never happened and has me completely stumped. There are 0 volts at the battery. Inverter and charge controller no power. I disconnected the charge controller from both the panels and battery for 15 minutes then hooked back up. It's reading 20 volt from panel and zero from battery of course since battery is fully drained. No PV lights, no lights, nothing.

I'm at a loss. any thoughts..?

Can you provide a brief recap of your system?

I would try a complete shut down of the entire system. Walk away for 15 minutes or longer, followed by the proper sequence of turning everything back on. Like a full reboot.

Take note of your battery voltage prior to shutting down and again prior to turning on.

Last night I made a bone broth and left it on low overnight. The crockpot is 100 watts. I realize now that having it going 12 hours after a rainy day could have drained my 100 amp battery to zero, which it is at now.
I had a similar thing almost happen to me. It was an instant post a guest brought along and plugged in after I went to sleep. I had 2.2 kWh of battery useable and was woken up to a battery alarm.

If it is Lithiums, the BMS will have a start up procedure.

What kind of battery is it? If it's a LiFePO₄ battery then the BMS probably shut down on low voltage disconnect and it needs to be woken up.
It is a LiFePO4 ooh okay I'll start there! Still seems like pv light would be on for charge controller if the panels are connected but anyway I didn't think about the BMS thanks!

Can you provide a brief recap of your system?

I would try a complete shut down of the entire system. Walk away for 15 minutes or longer, followed by the proper sequence of turning everything back on. Like a full reboot.

Take note of your battery voltage prior to shutting down and again prior to turning on.
Battery voltage now is 0 so going to do a reboot of battery, of that doesn't work I'll be back and give a recap of system

Can't find anything from SOK for the LiFePO4 reboot procedure and didn't come with a manual. Found a YouTube that explained it though and going to try jumping it with my car battery. Anyone see an issue with this method?

Can't find anything from SOK for the LiFePO4 reboot procedure and didn't come with a manual. Found a YouTube that explained it though and going to try jumping it with my car battery. Anyone see an issue with this method?
You can, also see this video:

Yep, just jump start it.

Side note.... "Full system failure" I call clickbait! LOL I wanted to see flames and puddles of melted goo formerly known as your power system. Pftt....

A power supply is pretty nice to have around.

Yep, just jump start it.

Side note.... "Full system failure" I call clickbait! LOL I wanted to see flames and puddles of melted goo formerly known as your power system. Pftt....

A power supply is pretty nice to have around.
Haha.. you're right I tend toward the dramatic. And i did have yellow goo covered everything in my RV at the time. I'd given up all hope so easily. I had thoughts that broth had somehow slimed it's way into the system and ruined everything.

Been resolved quite simply..And power supply not a bad idea!

One thing though-

Ever since doing this my battery only charges to 13.4 v, half on the little display icon. Before, it was going to 14.6 I think it was, with the little battery icon all full everyday. It has been a bit cloudier lately I guess.. so maybe I'm prematurely worried. Just a change Ive noticed..

One thing though-

Ever since doing this my battery only charges to 13.4 v, half on the little display icon. Before, it was going to 14.6 I think it was, with the little battery icon all full everyday. It has been a bit cloudier lately I guess.. so maybe I'm prematurely worried. Just a change Ive noticed..
Scratch that?

diy solar

diy solar
Back