diy solar

diy solar

Fuse use in the mobile 3000w system

keepinpalid

I’m building my first system in a campervan and am using Will’s mobile 3000w system as my design.

In his post he doesn’t use any fuses, but I’m not sure if/where they should be added.

This is my setup:
- 2 roof mounted solar panels (200w each)
- Renogy roaver boost charge booster
- Eg4 3000EHV 48v
- 2 standard lifepower 4 batteries
- 48v to 12 v converter for 12v fuse

Thanks for any guidance on how I should incorporate fuses.

Optimumly...

100a fuse from the batteries to the inverter, fuse/breaker between batteries and 12v converter, breaker between solar panels for disconnect.

Will doesn't use a fuse on his because the batteries have breakers already.

Optimumly...

100a fuse from the batteries to the inverter, fuse/breaker between batteries and 12v converter, breaker between solar panels for disconnect.

Will doesn't use a fuse on his because the batteries have breakers already.
Thank you rednecktek. So if my batteries also have breakers on them then I should be ok with just one fuse between the batteries and the 12v and another between the solar panels and the renogy converter?

Thank you rednecktek. So if my batteries also have breakers on them then I should be ok with just one fuse between the batteries and the 12v and another between the solar panels and the renogy converter?
Yup. The breaker to the solar panel is used as more of a handy disconnect for troubleshooting that happens to provide protection as a bonus. The important one is the batteries to converter so you can protect all your 12v stuff. You'll have to calculate that with the converter's wattage rating / 48v × 1.2 = fuse size.

Be aware that convetrters fon't really have surge capacity, so a 700w converter might pop at 701w, plan any surge loads into the sizing.

Yup. The breaker to the solar panel is used as more of a handy disconnect for troubleshooting that happens to provide protection as a bonus. The important one is the batteries to converter so you can protect all your 12v stuff. You'll have to calculate that with the converter's wattage rating / 48v × 1.2 = fuse size.

Be aware that convetrters fon't really have surge capacity, so a 700w converter might pop at 701w, plan any surge loads into the sizing.
So if I got a 48v to 12v converter with a built in fuse like this:

And connected it to a 12v fuse box like this:

Would all my 12v devices connected to the fuse box be adequately protected?

Thank you for all the advice!

Back