diy solar

diy solar

Fusing between four batteries in parallel without a bus bar

Wlutz84

Wondering what size in line fuses I should put inbetween each of 4 12v 100ah batteries connected in parallel without using a bus bar. Max current draw from inverter of 150 amps using 2/0awg. For the sake of learning, what size if I wanted to pull 80 amps from each battery?

1 what type of batterys are they fla agm Lifepo4 ect
2 150 amp on inverter is peak or normal max ie 1500 continuous 3000 peak is a common rated inverter
3 are wires on battery going to a buss bar
4 any further expansion planed

1 what type of batterys are they fla agm Lifepo4 ect
2 150 amp on inverter is peak or normal max ie 1500 continuous 3000 peak is a common rated inverter
3 are wires on battery going to a buss bar
4 any further expansion planed
Lifepo4, it's a 2000w inverter/4000 peak, but I won't use all the watts. No buss bar being used on batteries. No further expansion beyond this

Most likely you have 100amp bms so 125 or 150 amp fuse will protect them if something goes wrong
You have the potential to pull over 300amps with that inverter so bringing the batteries to a buss would be wise then a 350 to 400 amp feeding that large inverter a short to ground or locked rotor or some other problem could max it fast
the buss will help in many ways with power discharge and charging keeping batteries balanced and working to supply power equally from the 4 battery source

Would like to know about effectively fusing each battery without a bus bar, possible?

Will prowse has a good utube video on this chaining four batteries together like you wish to do showing what happens to the battery on the end of the line I suggest you watch his video

If running banks in parallel, I would advise fusing between each bank, appropriate to your wiring and load usage. For example I run 3x 280ah 48v Banks, wired in parallel. Each bank has its own individual 120A MCCB, rated for 10KA breaking capacity. Wiring between banks is 35mm2.

diy solar

diy solar
Back