diy solar

diy solar

G98 or G99?

Heather Macleod

Hi to All,

I have already installed 6 x 400W panels connected to a Solis S5-EH1P5K-L inverter. This is connected to a Pylon 3.5 kWh US3000C Li-ion Battery 48V.

Hoping to get paid for any export (come the summer) I think I need to fill out a G98 but am stuck on the manufacturer's ref. when I look on the ENA register these inverters seem to be approved for G99 not G98 and also I'm not sure what the reference is. I would be immensely grateful for any help. I am not experienced in any of this. A friend who is a chartered electrical engineer installed it for me but sadly we are no longer in contact.

I'll be immensely grateful for any help.

Your inverter is 5kw and over the 3.68Kw G98 threshold, so you have to apply for G99 and also not install until permission is granted. You should never have installed without the permission but you are where you are so just bluff your way through, worst they can do is restrict export to 3.68kw.

G98 is just informing the DNO and can happen up to 30 days after commissioning, no permission is needed but a 5kw inverter rules out that option.

The DNO will not have an interest in you only having 2.4kw of panels, they look at the inverter capacity as you could add more panels at any time.

Last edited:
Your inverter is 5kw and over the 3.68Kw G98 threshold, so you have to apply for G99 and also not install until permission is granted. You should never have installed without the permission but you are where you are so just bluff your way through, worst they can do is restrict export to 3.68kw.

G98 is just informing the DNO and can happen up to 30 days after commissioning, no permission is needed but a 5kw inverter rules out that option.

The DNO will not have an interest in you only having 2.4kw of panels, they look at the inverter capacity as you could add more panels at any time.
Thanks kommando, yes I accept that I should have done things differently. I'll pursue the G99 then, thanks again.

There are lots of early MCS certified installs that have never had DNO notification, so even the 'experts' get it wrong.

Back