diy solar

diy solar

Can anyone help to get this "complete" system working please?

Stuart444

Hi,

I live in Hampton, in south Cheshire, UK. I have a new DIY solar PV system, but am falling at the last hurdle.

I'm a retired chartered chemical engineer. I have lots of DIY experience but this is my first solar PV project.

My kit is:
16 off 400W or so panels, so max PV ~ 6.5 kW. Ground mounted.
Voltacon ESS 5.5 kW inverter (actually made by Voltronic, model ESS510).
3 off PylonTech US5000 batteries.
Eastron smart meter.
Various isolators, and surge protection at both ends of the DC feed cable.

I bought all this from Voltacon (Birmingham, UK) in early 2013. It took a long time for me to install, but it has been "complete" for a couple of months now. It charges up the batteries fine, but at present I can't get the system to export more than a few watts to my house.

I've checked several times the various Voltacon videos on youtube, and scrutinised the installation instructions, and as far as I can tell it is all correct. Local PV installers don't really want to help as they worry that they might lose their accreditation for working on a system made by a non-accredited installer, or so they say. One did come over as a favour and cast an informal eye over it, and he spotted a couple of installation shortcomings that I have since fixed, but he wasn't familiar with this inverter.

Whatever load is being drawn by my house, the inverter exports nothing. I put a clamp ammeter on the connection from the inverter to the nearby consumer unit, and it usually shows 16W (0.016kW), dropping to zero if I open the isolation switch.

Voltacon's explanations on youtube are difficult to follow and sometimes ambiguous in my view. They try, but they are not professional educators!

My troubles started when applying for a G99/G98 certificate from my local network operator, Scottish Power. They said this inverter wasn't on the ENA register and they won't grant a certificate without that, unless they do a witness test which costs close to £400 on top of the registration fee. This led to lots of heated discussions and emails with Voltacon, who didn't want to go to the expense of putting it on the register. (It later appeared on the register, maybe done by Volronic, but only for G99 approval, not G98, which Scottish Power said I need.) After I threatened legal action, Voltacon agreed to pay Scottish Power to do the witness test. Hence I'm not on the best of terms with them.

I need it to work before calling in Scottish Power's engineer. However, it won't export, so something is wrong. There are a lot of setup parameters, which I've been through several times, and can't see a problem. Clearly it's time for less myopic eyes to help!

I can post any information (eg all the setup parameters) if it helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stuart

P3223718.JPGP3223722.JPGP3223723.JPGP3223724.JPGP3223725.JPG

While not being familiar with Voltacon units, I use Growatt units. It outputs 240vac. I would first isolate the AC output locally at your Voltacon from running downstream. Verify it can produce usable 240ac output locally. Possibly wired directly to your EV Wallbox charger unit, or some other 240vac load. To verify the Solar/Inverter/Battery system can provide the power you intend.
Then once verified, troubleshoot downstream from there.

Thanks! I did that, and found the inverter to be working OK when it was isolated from my house AC. That was a good step forwards.

With help also from another forum I realised that my smart meter was the problem. It was telling the inverter that I was exporting to, when I was actually importing from, the grid. As I'm not yet authorised to export to the grid, I had set the inverter not to export to the grid. However it thought it was exporting, and so was suppressing its AC output to zero in an attempt to rectify the error. I've corrected the meter fault and it now works as expected.

this is an offgrid inverter , it can take power from the grid, but doesnt/can't "sell" back to the grid or your house on the grid side
means you ave to wire your house on the output side

Back