diy solar

diy solar

Wire type and size-need to get this right

Run a rope first (can vacuum it through the pipe) (Google "fish pull line"). You can tape your line(s) to this rope and use it to pull as many as you dare at a time. Helps if you have a pusher/aligner to make sure the wires are feeding okay.

Keep in mind the Conduit Fill chart

And as per usual:
1708975348449.gif

shop vac with an adaptor, pull string, plastic bag shaped into a ball tied to string. Poof! it’s like magic!
Make sure the sting/rope is rated for the number of pounds you intend to pull (in my case with the tractor)

If I get 4 strands, do i pull them all at once or one at a time? Running the strap back and forth.

I’ve never pulled wire before.

Is it an option to pull the wire for single phase service on the single Quattro and leave a strap in there in case I decide to get the second Quattro later?

Or do I need to pull all this wire at the same time? A little more expensive but that’s fine if that’s how it needs to be.

Is it an option to pull the wire for single phase service on the single Quattro and leave a strap in there in case I decide to get the second Quattro later?

Or do I need to pull all this wire at the same time? A little more expensive but that’s fine if that’s how it needs to be.
Depends how crowded the conduit is, and how many bends. Can you wait for later? Yes. Should you? Probably not.
I always leave an extra pull string in the conduit for future pulls, but I hope I never need to use it.

I’d run everything now, and be done with it.
You don’t want to pull twice if you don’t have to. Wire is only going up in price anyway.

Last edited:
And how do you guys feel about XHHW? I’ve read it’s more flexible. And has better temp ratings.

IMG_0466.jpeg

With how far your pull is buried and it being in conduit, I don't think it will matter. What gauge have you decided on? Adding another 2 or 4 gauge would be a breeze. Adding another 2/0 would be hell.

With how far your pull is buried and it being in conduit, I don't think it will matter. What gauge have you decided on? Adding another 2 or 4 gauge would be a breeze. Adding another 2/0 would be hell.
A lot to digest. I’m going to stew on all the info provided before I decide.

I didn’t fully understand the advantages of split phase on wire size. I was simply looking to run more efficient air conditioners.

I’ll need to price out the second victron and think it over.

Since you have Conduit, you have plans to run the cable, it's a choice between wiring for what you have and what you may do in the future. Wiring for the present gets you done for today. Putting a larger wire and fusing/breakering it to your current needs is okay and allows you to put a larger inverter in the future should you need more power or need to expand without running additional/replacement wires.

Do I need to color code these wires or can they all come off a single 1000’ black roll?

Thanks

When you "vacuum" the rope/small line through the conduit ensure you have 2-1/2 times the length. Attach the wire you are pulling to the center so that you can pull the line back through in the event you end up pulling them one at a time. Sometimes with a tight fit one at a time is actually easier. In addition (depending on the code requirements in your jurisdiction) the wire might need to meet "direct bury" (UF-B) even though it is in a conduit.

Back