diy solar

diy solar

Wire type and size-need to get this right

Do I need to color code these wires or can they all come off a single 1000’ black roll?
I believe for code reasons, the Neutral wire should be White or Black with a White stripe, and the ground should be green, green/yellow, or bare (not recommended for conduit).
@timselectric may clarify, I'm not an electrician.

I used these guys: https://www.wireandcableyourway.com
I like my colors, I bought spools of Black (L1), Red (L2), White (N), and Green (G).

Also, having separate spools makes the feeding into conduit easier if you put them all on a pole.
Otherwise you'll be unspooling, cutting, and running 4 cables a long way.

Last edited:
When you "vacuum" the rope/small line through the conduit ensure you have 2-1/2 times the length. Attach the wire you are pulling to the center so that you can pull the line back through in the event you end up pulling them one at a time. Sometimes with a tight fit one at a time is actually easier. In addition (depending on the code requirements in your jurisdiction) the wire might need to meet "direct bury" (UF-B) even though it is in a conduit.
Absolutely the wire has to meet bury and wet ratings.
Thhn-2 does.

Ultimately you might find digging a new trench (or digging up the origin) is the best way. 10/3 Gray Solid CU UF-B W/G Wire (or 250 ft. 6/3 Gray Stranded CU UF-B W/G Wire). Local code will determine the depth required without conduit, usually 24 inches or more. In addition most code requires a "caution" tape be buried several inches above the wire and/or conduit. Possibly string two cables so you have one for future expansion.

I can promise you this; once solar has bit your backside, you WILL expand. Just look at a number of the folks on this forum; adding or upgrading for more power (kind'a like "Tim the tool man Taylor" https://homeimprovement.fandom.com/wiki/Tim_Taylor)

Whenever I need to dig a trench to run power to an outbuilding I also bury a direct bury cat6 cable for future network extension (poe ip cameras) as well as 7 conductor sprinkler system cable (command/control/monitoring etc.). Plan for the future.

Just consider the additional exercise you will get digging the trench.

Back