diy solar

diy solar

Can anyone help me identify components in this system?

Ghillie

A friend bought a house with 720 watts of panels, 233AH 24 volt AGM battery bank, a 3000 watt inverter/charger/transfer switch. It also has a windmill on the roof (didn't climb up to look at specs. The windmill rotates to face the wind but the fan doesn't look like it turns.

I have never seen what I assume is a charge controller. If you can help me identify the components circled in yellow, blue, and green in the picture, I would appreciate it.

He is in the process of doing some big repairs on the house and I told him to track down what AC circuits the system is wired to so he can get an idea if he wants to upgrade the charge controller and possibly increase his array and battery bank.IMG_1167.jpeg

A friend bought a house with 720 watts of panels, 233AH 24 volt AGM battery bank, a 3000 watt inverter/charger/transfer switch. It also has a windmill on the roof (didn't climb up to look at specs. The windmill rotates to face the wind but the fan doesn't look like it turns.

I have never seen what I assume is a charge controller. If you can help me identify the components circled in yellow, blue, and green in the picture, I would appreciate it.

He is in the process of doing some big repairs on the house and I told him to track down what AC circuits the system is wired to so he can get an idea if he wants to upgrade the charge controller and possibly increase his array and battery bank.View attachment 195049
The circled items are for the wind turbine.
Yellow circle- dump load
Blue circle- turbine output
Green circle- ac rectifier.

The circled items are for the wind turbine.
Yellow circle- dump load
Blue circle- turbine output
Green circle- ac rectifier.
Thank you.

Is it possible to use these items as a solar charge controller at the same time? The negative from the 2 PV lines are attached to the bottom of the dump load.

Thank you.

Is it possible to use these items as a solar charge controller at the same time? The negative from the 2 PV lines are attached to the bottom of the dump load.
I would not of thought so. The way they tend to work is, once they hit their target voltage, they hold that voltage indefinitely, dumping excess energy. As long as the sun is there, it would stay at one voltage with no float or absorbtion

I think the shiny can is a relay which connects the dump load. Like PWM regulator, in this case PWM dump.

Yes, PV could be regulated by a dump load, but more likely it uses FET to complete circuit (traditional PWM) rather than dump load and isolation diode.

I would think a rooftop wind turbine would under-produce and/or generate excessive noise.

Looks like battery capacity is about 10x PV wattage, so reasonably to cycle 50% and recharge in a day.

Relatively small system (unless turbine is huge), something to play with, maybe expand PV later with MPPT SCC.

Back