diy solar

diy solar

Generac/Pika B Link DC/DC Converter

mentler2

Does anyone here have experience with the Pika/Generac B Link DC/DC converter? Model identifier is B301c. Can I use it to control the charging profile to my flooded lead acid battery bank? The specs on my unit suggest I can, but I'd appreciate hearing from any current owners/installers about your experience. The details get pretty specific, so I've broken those down in the sections below.

Details:
Reasons I believe I may be able to use this converter:
1) The B Link is used in both the Pika Coral and the Generac PWRcell Cabinet to manage charge to the batteries.
2) I've found a news article of a Pika director claiming the B Link can be used to charge lead acid batteries [1].
3) The Pika Coral is designed to utilize AGM lead acid batteries [2].
However, I've found inconsistencies in the listed specifications, which gives me pause. The specs on the Coral claim a usable voltage range of 100-180 V, while the specifications on the PWRcell Cabinet claim a nominal voltage of 380 V [3], and the label on my actual unit lists 80-360 V [4].

I've already reached out to Generac and asked if they can supply documentation. Ya'll'll be unsurprised to hear I didn't get a response.

My full system specifications, and links to the referenced documentation, are below.

Battery Bank:
Capacity = 11.6 kAh (Roughly. Actual capacity is dependent upon charge and discharge rate)
Voltage = 18 V (Could also be 12V or 24V. I'm happy to rewire the cells if doing so allows me to use the B Link)
Cells [5]: Nine (Currently, but I have to option to purchase more, if necessary)
Make/model: Crown Battery/2CRP1880
Voltage: 2 V
Capacity: 1300 Ah

Solar Array:
Voltage, max = 92 V
Current, max = 9 A
Panels [6]: Three 265 W panels
Make/Model: Suniva/Optimus Series, OPT 265-60-4-1B0
Voltage, max: 30.7 V
Current, max: 8.64 A

And finally, my detailed questions:
1. Are the specifications listed on the Coral and the PWRcell Cabinet inconsistent because they're based on battery specifications, and not B Link converter specifications?
2. Am I going to fry something if I wire the B Link between my panels and battery bank?
3. Will the B Link even behave correctly as a battery management system if it isn't connected to an inverter?
4. If "no" to the previous question, is there a way for me to interface with the B Link using a laptop to give it the instructions or configuration settings it needs?
5. Will the B Link be able to detect flooded lead acid batteries?
6. Will I be able to use the B Link to set a maximum charge current, maximum charge voltage, float voltage, and equalization voltage?

[1] https://www.saurenergy.com/solar-en...nverter-receives-etl-listing-ul-1741-standard
[2] pika_coral-smart-battery-SB14A -IM.pdf
[3] pwrcell_batterycabinet_specsheet.pdf
[4] unitLabel.jpg
[5] 2CRP1880_Specifications.pdf
[6] suniva-OptimusSeries-brochure.pdf

Attachments

• pika_coral-smart-battery-SB14A -IM.pdf
    262.3 KB · Views: 2
  • pwrcell_batterycabinet_specsheet.pdf
    418.9 KB · Views: 0
  • unitLabel.jpg
    unitLabel.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 2CRP1880_Specifications.pdf
    452.2 KB · Views: 5
  • suniva-OptimusSeries-brochure.pdf
    785.5 KB · Views: 1
Would like to help ... this is a quite technical thread... I’m hoping someone has experience with this that can help.. ?

First just want to verify that you have a this DC/DC Converter? If not you will have a hard time finding one as these are not manufactured anymore. Pika had a lot of awesome products that Generac trimmed in an effort to bring the system to mass market.

These controller were intended to be used with other manufacturers battery modules. I think this was the methodology before they developed the PWRcell cabinet that houses proprietary battery modules. It looks to be HV systems which are self contained systems. Low voltage Lead acid systems would've used this controller. https://www.altestore.com/static/datafiles/Others/B801 ChargeController_Datasheet V3.pdf

1. Are the specifications listed on the Coral and the PWRcell Cabinet inconsistent because they're based on battery specifications, and not B Link converter specifications?
The inconsistencies you are seeing is based on which side of the device is being measured. All Generac (formerly Pika) DC devices operate on at 380v on what they call they call the REBus. The voltage range is the battery side of the device which would vary depending on battery model.

2. Am I going to fry something if I wire the B Link between my panels and battery bank?
Yes. Without PV links and a PWRcell inverter you will fry something. Only the REBus/Output side of REBus devices should be connected together. Going PV direct would not be good.
3. Will the B Link even behave correctly as a battery management system if it isn't connected to an inverter?
No
4. If "no" to the previous question, is there a way for me to interface with the B Link using a laptop to give it the instructions or configuration settings it needs?
I want to say no but I am not a programmer. Unless you have extensive experience with this equipment and programming it would be impossible. Generac has this stuff locked down tight to interface a specific way and it would not function as intended. Even if you could figure it out there are far better products to suit your needs
5. Will the B Link be able to detect flooded lead acid batteries?
Probably not as FLA are not intended to be used at this devices voltage range.
6. Will I be able to use the B Link to set a maximum charge current, maximum charge voltage, float voltage, and equalization voltage?
No because this device is meant to be used in conjunction with REBus devices. The Pika/Generac system is a system designed to take the complexities out of installations. You don't see a lot of information like this because you don't really need to. This is a system that isn't really intended for "tinkering".

PWRcell is a fantastic system. I have installed countless and chose them over all the other brands I install because I believe they are one of the best for Grid tie with battery backup. The system is very proprietary and can't really be installed piecemeal. I'd go with Outback, Schneider, midnight, Magnum, etc. if you want to use these batteries.

All this to say maybe someone else has figured out how to use this stuff in the manner you want. Just sharing what my experience has been with these products, and I have now installed over 25 Generac systems (though never this device).

Back