diy solar

diy solar

LiBIM and DC to DC converter?

wmsilva

I will be upgrading my house batteries from lead acid to LiFePo4. There is currently a BIM so I have bought a LiBIM to replace it. I like the idea of having the chassis batteries connected so they stay charged and I can connect them to jump start if ever necessary but I don't like the idea of my alternator running at near max output even for 15 min.
Sometimes I come up with what I think is a good solution for a problem but have doubts when I can't find where others have done it.... so I ask

Is it possible to add a 30 or 50 amp DC to DC converter inline with the LiBIM? If I cannot find a bidirectional DC to DC converter then could I use a busbar to put two converters in opposite directions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on your vehicle and the size of your battery bank direct alternator charging may be totally fine. I have a Ram Promaster and a 200ah lifepo4 battery and it works just fine. Normally the batteries see about 40 amps, the alternator is rated at 185A, I believe, so plenty of headroom. Of course your mileage may vary, but it could be worth visiting a vehicle specific forum and see if others have any experience.

I'm assuming that you want your solar system to maintain the starter battery?

If so one of the Renogy mppt/dc-dc chargers will provide that function, and perhaps other combo units will too.

You could also just get a high amp 3 way switch, one input, two outputs. The starter battery would be connected to the input, and the bim or libim connected to one output and a dc-dc charger to the other. When you're driving select the dc-dc when you're sitting select the li-bim. It's slightly inconvenient but pretty simple and effective.

Running two dc-dc converters doesn't seem like a good value, and doesn't let you "jumpstart" the vehicle.

Edit: You could add dc-dc converter inline with the li-bim but it wouldn't achieve any of your goals except limiting the alternator output.

Err, maybe not though, not sure how those would work together, since I believe the li bim checks the voltage of both batteries before connecting.

Last edited:
Thank you Reed,
I did something similar on my last RV and it worked, I'm probably just over thinking it. I have 500ah of battery and a, what I believe, 165A alternator on a 2014 cummins 6.7. I have read a couple times that this alternator can be problematic.

Thank you Reed,
I did something similar on my last RV and it worked, I'm probably just over thinking it. I have 500ah of battery and a, what I believe, 165A alternator on a 2014 cummins 6.7. I have read a couple times that this alternator can be problematic.
Well, a dc-dc charger is a pretty safe bet for the health of the alternator and the batteries. I wouldn't have gone with direct alternator charging if I hadn't found multiple examples of people doing it with my vehicle.

I have the li-bim but I typically don't go for long drives so the timing function is pretty annoying for me and I usually just override it with a manual switch, which unfortunately also overrides the overvoltage function. But it's nice that it kicks on when parked to charge the starter battery from solar occasionally.

30amp dc-dc with correct sized wiring will be much better the LiBIM (15 min ON 20min OFF)
disconnect the BIM control wires BUT leave the wiring in place ... takes a couple of minutes to re-instate for an emergency

Back