diy solar

diy solar

Generic solar charge controller monitoring

Orkeven

So, I have a mini system set up for now, one which I will hopefully be increasing as I go. I experienced some limitations when I was carrying out the purchase and, to cut the story short, I had to make do with what was available and supplied to me. So far, the unit works pretty well but an assumption was made when picking out the charge controller and a monitoring module was not provided with the one that was delivered. Also, the charge controller happens to be of a generic type, although the manual indicates it is an MPK series. The manufacturer hasn't been of any help, whom I was able to contact after days of running different types of searches. I was offered the option of procuring another unit but which will come with the Bluetooth module. That was not exactly helpful.
Forgive the overstretched backstory above.

The charge controller has a communication port labelled RS485, while the manual shows the communication mode to be "RS485, RJ45 port". I figured a RS485 compatible module should work but I wonder about the chances that I could be wrong. For example, EPEVER seems to be quite common on here and I have looked them up but I'm wondering if there is a chance that, although it is RS485, the alignment of the wires might be different from what would be compatible with my controller.

Is there anyone here with experience on EPEVER Bluetooth and WiFi modules that can advise on whether this will work with my device? I would really like to be able to monitor the controller remotely using the EPEVER app on mobile. Also, it might allow for a less tedious (with all those pressing of buttons on the controller) configuration or modification of settings.
Is there any universal type of module that should work? Is there any open source module and/or software that can be used as well?

Thank you in advance.

I have not checked to see what each pin on the rs485 does, but that is a generic computer industry connector, not just for solar stuff, so good chance they use the pins as designed to be used. For example, all RJ45 pins would either be A or B style. In computer world people do not change up the pins for no reason. Every network cable I work with the brown and blue wires are saved for power, and the green and orange ones are for data. I by no means see everything, so no need to chime in with special situations readers.
There are usb-to-rs485 cables and rj45-to-rs485 cables. The wifi ones just seem to be the rj45 with an ethernet jack on the end and you plug your wifi or bluetooth dongle into that, so I imagine it would work with an ethernet cable (rj45) also.

* edit, actually, since mine is a to usb adapter then the power feed pin on epever likely has to be power because usb is "universal". Data pins, if wired wrong, will not damage your unit, only worry about if power feeds into what is supposed to get data.

Data pins, if wired wrong, will not damage your unit, only worry about if power feeds into what is supposed to get data.
I'm not worried about the unit getting damaged due to power delivery mismatch as that would be highly unlikely. I'm concerned about the data feed from the unit being transmitted as would be expected.

It is based on my little understanding of how cabling ordinarily works that I am tending towards risking it, because I would expect the power delivering wires to be consistent across all types of RS485 ports vs RJ45 connectors. So, hopefully, the data delivering lines are likewise, giving us something somewhat universal. Therefore, the readily available EPEVER wireless modules for their charge controller should work on another one quite like all USB modems, wireless routers and whatnot actually work with all types of computers and devices regardless of brand manufacturers.

I got an unhelpful email from an agent of the mpk series this morning. I had to rephrase the request and resend the email, with the hope that it simplifies it to the person for a subsequent more helpful suggestion or advice regarding which module to purchase for my unit.

Back