diy solar

diy solar

Germans finally figured out that coddling kids is bad in the long term?

Short_Shot

Solar Addict
"Germany is adding greater risk to its playgrounds. Some of its climbing structures are now three stories high. And who is requesting this?

Insurance companies. They want kids to grow up "risk competent." Ironically, "safety" culture is stunting kids' risk assessing abilities, in their estimation."

My wife and I let our kids wander the neighborhood at a relatively early age.... and some of our neighbors actually insinuated we were bad parents for it. Fast forward 20 years.... our kids are both out of the house and have jobs... Their kids are still at home and can't hold jobs.

Was there a connection? I think so. Teaching independence is one of the most important things a parent can do!!

Teaching them to learn from failure also important.
And that means you have to let them fail! More often than not, I would let my kids do things I knew they would have problems with.
This is also why I think kid's sports where everyone gets a trophy is a big mistake.

Failure has always been the best teacher for me. I seek it out figuring I’m not pushing the envelope hard enough if I don’t fail on occasion.

Some attach a negative connotation to it which I have never understood.

I explain it like this:

If failure were such a bad thing then after our children fell a few times while learning to walk we would just buy a wagon, cart them around for the rest of their life, and save them from additional failure and the embarrassment of it.

Sounds silly ?

Back