diy solar

diy solar

Get smaller 4-100ah or 2-200ah batteries?

Wayfarere

All things being equal, am I better off getting more 100ah batteries or fewer 200ah?

I'm looking at building a 24V system. Starting with 2-400W panels and maybe expanding to 3 in the future.

Just wondering if there are any dis/advantages I'm not aware of.

Flexibility of using one smaller battery as a trolling motor is all I can think of.

I would say 2*200ah batteries will be better than 4*100ah. More batteries need more wiring and lead to more potential issues like bad consistency. More batteries mean more troublesome if one of the batteries were faulty. The fewer, the better.

All things being equal, am I better off getting more 100ah batteries or fewer 200ah?

I'm looking at building a 24V system. Starting with 2-400W panels and maybe expanding to 3 in the future.

Just wondering if there are any dis/advantages I'm not aware of.

Flexibility of using one smaller battery as a trolling motor is all I can think of.
You are planning to buy 24 volt batteries right?

Consider the tradeoffs of 12 or 24v batteries. 12V super common and could have other uses but you have to keep them somewhat balanced between packs. Especially if you intend to use the full capacity routinely. 24V batteries you get zero balancing hassle but more limited applications beyond solar. They do make 24v trolling motors, but those are often the really big ones.

If you are unsure of the longevity of your solar setup, 100% go for 12v 100ah packs. Just too useful these days and easier to sell if you want to move on from them. If you know you are going to be using them exclusively in a long term solar setup go for 24V packs. Pack balancing sucks.

Back