diy solar

diy solar

Giandel 3000/24 Open Ground Hack...

MIFARMS

I've been lurking on several of these threads for a while, have a similar issue where a GFCI tester shows "Open Ground"...

I'm doing something maybe a little shall we say unorthodox... I recently (finally) saved up enough to buy a Victron Multiplus 24/3000, I have been running for some time on a Giandel 24/3000 and was oblivious that I have for all this time had an open ground (shame on me).

So I'm actually feeding the Multiplus on the AC Input terminals, with the Giandel, I have the AC input limits set to 10 amps, and so when the load exceeds 1200 watts or so, the Multiplus goes into PowerAssist, and supplements the power, thereby not really stressing either of the devices, and giving me a good bit more available power than either unit can provide. The Multiplus can output up to 50 amps, depending on the input.

So when I disconnect the Giandel as Input, the Ground relay on the MultiPlus closes, and the ground fault stuff works as expected... but when I turn on the Giandel, as input (the relay opens), and expects the source (assuming it's a generator or grid) to have it's own G-N Bond... the Giandel as previously discussed does not... and I have this "open ground" issue, and CFCI's don't work.

The solution that I've implemented is as follows... looking for others to provide feedback... I installed a breaker (using as a switch... yes it's isolated from phase) between the N-G Buss Bars in the panel, and when I am using the Giandel as input to the MultiPlus (Ground Relay is open)... I close the switch, providing MEN Link... This test OK, and everything seems to work as expected.

Turn the switch off, and plug it into a Generator or Grid and it still works properly...

Seems like a solid solution, with the downside of it's a manual process, and the operator needs to actually understand what it does...

Thoughts?

Back