diy solar

diy solar

Ev level one charging off 24v 4000w giandel and/or 2000w victron pheonix (open ground!?)

NickSpadaro

I have a 24v off grid solar set up (1500watts of panels, 2 big battery units) and recently bought a chevy bolt. When I went to charge it off either of my inverters I get the dreaded open ground error. When I test my outlets I do indeed have an open ground.

To charge from a generator I just use a "ground bonding plug" to trick my ESVE. Can I do this with my giandel or my victron? Both inverters are grounded to a grounding rod, but my ev charger is still not having it. Any easy solutions?? Do I need a new closed ground inverter? Am I screwed? I tried searching and came up with many advanced open ground issues.

I guess it depends on the inverter. I know that this can be done on some off-grid inverters (Xijia/CNSPOWER, Giandel), without issue, but on others it may be problematic.

But if you already have the inverters grounded and are adding an N-G bond, I would also add an RCD (GFCI for you U.S. guys) while your at it.
N-G bond should be on inverter output, but before the RCD.
This will give you some added safety from shock/electrocution, given that the inverter doesn't have a problem with the N-G bond.
If there is a ground fault, the RCD should open.

Back