diy solar

diy solar

Giandel vs any cheap Amazon inverter

JaThumb

I am in the planning phase for a small off grid system on a *very* tight budget. I have been soaking up all the information I can from Will's videos and he mentions a few times that he had good experiences with Giandel inverters.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Vevor 3000 watt (Chinese) inverter for $270, or a Giandel 2000 watt for $370 (Both on Amazon/24v).

I see that most people here agree that cheap Chinese inverters can't do what they advertise. So, the Vevor may not handle any more than the Giandel anyway. Is there any consensus on whether Chinese inverters are a dice roll, or just always bad and unable to deliver what they claim? Are Giandels considered a high quality budget inverter, or is there another trustworthy brand at least as affordable as them?

I have the Giandel 2000watt 24v. It's been reliable for two plus years and I like the remote power switch it comes with... I paid only 250 for it on Amazon but that was at start of pandemic.

Samlex might be another option and well regarded by those of us who also use their power supplies and chargers. Might be out of your price range though. I tend to buy-once, rather than buy-twice by replacing a cheap bargain.

The Giandel's look nice. I'm sure many are happy with them.

The Vevor 3000VA not watts. Mine is happy up to about 2200 watts then gets touchy. Surges ok when mini split starts but if anything else us drawing it will alarm and occasionally shut down. They can be picked up on eBay for around 219 right now. Took a gamble for small mobile camping unit as they are AIO units. Grid charge is maxed at 25A and solar at 30A. Max solar input is 85V so you have to parallel panels to keep it happy. Also PMW not MPPT but seems to play nice with my setup. Still playing with solar charge settings but my 304AH diy pack is full and happy daily. Can't speak to longevity as it is only couple months old and end of season now. Appear decently built and am happy with value thus far. Leave in camper full time and have Outback unit as backup if it craps out on me. Less to heart ache if stolen as we leave camper on remote land unattended frequently. Will update if it magically smokes...

My Vevor shorted in a few weeks and they gave me the run around about repair/replace. Every stalling tacit in the book.
I had to do the olde CC dispute before they decided to make it right.
Shiny USA store front for cheap junk.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Vevor 3000 watt (Chinese) inverter for $270, or a Giandel 2000 watt for $370 (Both on Amazon/24v)
I spent several months off and on studying up multiple resources online - sifting through the stupid people garbage- to decide between several apparently popular budget brands of straight inverters. What I found was frequent disappointment with renohgy service life, two other brands I don’t recall with dismal reports from offgrid users, and Giandel which was murkier in popular mentions (which I figured out was due to people quite ready to complain but not too many ‘good’ reports).

I watched some Will mentions of Giandel on youTube and also noticed high regard for them in Australia, Europe, and some third-world places.

I calculated (educated wildhat guess) that I needed ~850W bought a 1200W psw 12V unit. Ran everything including a vacuum cleaner for ~3 years, no flaws.
Are Giandels considered a high quality budget inverter
That is the consensus and I concur.
to decide whether to buy a Vevor 3000 watt (Chinese) inverter for $270, or a Giandel 2000 watt for $370 (Both on Amazon/24v).
Why 24V? At 2000W you can use 12V and in emergencies use the vehicle for power or to hot-charge up the batteries. Plus there’s scads of 12V lights and charging solutions with usb and the RV industry has a lot available. Yes, a few more bucks for battery cables but the $50 less cost difference saved with this 2200W unit is more than enough to cover that. And you get a pwm charge controller that should handle 3- or 400W built in.
AND HAVE A PRODUCT WITH A REPUTATION FOR RELIABILITY

I spent several months off and on studying up multiple resources online - sifting through the stupid people garbage- to decide between several apparently popular budget brands of straight inverters. What I found was frequent disappointment with renohgy service life, two other brands I don’t recall with dismal reports from offgrid users, and Giandel which was murkier in popular mentions (which I figured out was due to people quite ready to complain but not too many ‘good’ reports).

I watched some Will mentions of Giandel on youTube and also noticed high regard for them in Australia, Europe, and some third-world places.

I calculated (educated wildhat guess) that I needed ~850W bought a 1200W psw 12V unit. Ran everything including a vacuum cleaner for ~3 years, no flaws.

That is the consensus and I concur.

Why 24V? At 2000W you can use 12V and in emergencies use the vehicle for power or to hot-charge up the batteries. Plus there’s scads of 12V lights and charging solutions with usb and the RV industry has a lot available. Yes, a few more bucks for battery cables but the $50 less cost difference saved with this 2200W unit is more than enough to cover that. And you get a pwm charge controller that should handle 3- or 400W built in.
AND HAVE A PRODUCT WITH A REPUTATION FOR RELIABILITY
I've gone back and forth on 12v vs 24v. As of now I only plan to utilize the ac output of the system, but that could always change. I definitely see your points about some benefits of choosing 12v, and since I haven't purchased anything yet, I can still change my mind.

Back