diy solar

diy solar

Cheap AIO vs cheap standalone HF inverter for DIY portable solar generator

Jacob89

I want to build a DIY solar generator that is light and compact as possible, but still quite powerful. A while back I built a 24v pack out of 8 105ah EVE cells. I haven't really got a lot of use out of it though, as I have it crudely and temporarily set up in a shed with an old 3kva victron phoenix. The problem is the victron(being an lf inverter) is really too heavy to be portable. I did consider mounting it and the battery on a hand trolley like Will has done in some of his videos. That would fine for using around home but I also want to be able to (relatively) easily load it into the back of a sedan or station wagon and the trolley would prevent that.
The main use case is running power tools around the farm, occasional home back up during (rare for us) grid outages, and possibly some camping as well.

Initially I was considering something like a 3kw giandel or something like this. I already have a spare mppt charge controller perfect for charging.
But a couple of cheaper 3kw AIO units have caught my eye. This very cheap vevor and this mpp solar unit are my main considerations, both being shipped from in my country or at least cheap if they're shipped from china. They have a low input voltage for the solar charging, which is fine by me because I would often want to charge it with only one or two panels.
Obviously it eliminates the need to install a separate mppt controller in my portable generator but it also gives me the option of AC charging, which I don't have now. I would need to wire up some outlets to it but that doesn't concern me at all.

My main concern is how well these units would hold up in a portable use situation. They would likely be mounted horizontally too, would that bother them?
Also of concern is ease of use. The cheap stand alone units are generally just on and off. Are the AIO's easily turned on and off without going into menus, etc?

It sounds like you might benefit from attacking this project in a different direction. Instead of having a pile of parts and trying to figure out how to move it all around, start with a box, something like a cheaper rolling toolbox for example, and see what parts you can tetris in there realistically. Modular toolboxes have a suprising amount of space and shapes and plywood can put a shelf anywhere and mount anything anywhere pretty much. I did something similar for my portable heater project and found I had a LOT more space than I thought I had once I started playing with the legos.

In the world of portable, the standby draws of AIO's really can hurt so I would recommend going component. It also lets you be a lot more flexible with how to arrange things in your transport system.

I casually bought an MPPSolar 1012LV-MK because it was so configurable and handy to have the auxiliary charging. It is a little hungry on idle consumption at ~750Wh/day, but it’s so dependable and trouble free I’ve kept it. The 1000W output inverter is inconvenient and a downer sometimes but otherwise I am enamored with the thing. Just need another panel to keep up with the idle.

Nevertheless, in your case a Giandel is reasonably dependable and fantastic for the money. I have a couple. Giandel would be more compact, great performance, and proven. Leave the miniamazon Vevor alone imho

PowerMR 60A SCC is super cheap but works. Very light weight and small footprint. Buy two - one for Justin. Justin Case.

That’s what I’d do at this juncture

Back