diy solar

diy solar

Givenergy 5kw hybrid inverter working with DIY battery storage

ManxViking

Hi all.
I have recently had a givenergy 5kw gen1 inverter charger fitted and I am having some issues hopefully someone might be able to explain or help me with.
The system runs at its max 2.6k output but when it's charging its only charging at 480watts????

I am wondering if I need to get a bigger grid tied hybrid inverter to be able to charge overnight on the cheapest rate of electricity here in the UK. My DIY battery storage is currently at 30kwh.
Many thanks
David

What size cables are installed between the battery and the unit?

Edit: After 4 websites, several data sheets and manuals I can not find ANY DC battery voltage spec. Very odd.

Hi.
All cables are 25mm squared. They don't even get warm during discharge.
It is odd that there are very little adjustments on the units app. Very limited.

Hi.
All cables are 25mm squared. They don't even get warm during discharge.
It is odd that there are very little adjustments on the units app. Very limited.
If anything is getting warm to the point you can feel it you are already well beyond what the cable and connections should be carrying in a building wiring system. 25mm^2 is massive and should be fine. I would check for any software limits on charging by thoroughly reading the manual, or calling support. Then check cables ends and connections for sources of voltage drop in the circuit that would cause the charging logic to think the batteries are not accepting the charge.

Thank you nimrodthepixiewrangler. I have done as suggested and although all batteries are linked together they all charge and discharge at slightly different rates. Might be lengths of cables or something?
Maybe then the inverter can't run at capacity because it cannot see them as 1 reading.
I have 2 separate packs which are 9kwh each. Maybe I should look at connecting those up to the inverter and see if running only one pack of 9 kW hours works as it should and then see what happens when I add the second 9 kilowatt hour pack?
I do have another inverter but it is a Chinese one and it does not have an earth connection which is why I had to buy this second inverter from givenergy. I was hopeful in some way I would be able to link them all together but I'm now wondering if I need to save for a huge single phase inverter that I can connect all of them together.
David

Back