diy solar

diy solar

Glass Solar Path Lights

RipK

I have bought and thrown out at least three sets of solar path lights because the small plastic solar panels they use degrade and become opaque over time. Last year I saw an add for solar path lights that had glass solar panels, I think they were around $70 each! But I failed to bookmark the page. This year I can't find them or any other ones that have glass panels. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that sells them?
I just don't want to buy another set knowing I'll have to throw them out in a couple of years.
Thanks.

A) you can ‘restore’ the acrylic ken’n’barbie solar panel for longer effective lifespan with maguire’s plastic polish fwiw. Not a forever solution but longer than the batteries will go

B) Landscrape lighting wire at Home Despot is fairly inexpensively. 12V pathway and bullet landscape lights on amazonian outfitters are $80-$200 a dozen. Some decent quality. Some with a 120V power supply but I’d power them direct and/or use this. Or incorporate a timer and photocell. both. But the motion sensor incorporates a photocell and I’d do that.

If you compare the longer term costs, adding a deep cycle fla, a small Epever SCC, and a 150W panel might come out far cheaper overall than buying $80/ea lights with a glass solar module.

The cheap chinese made acrylic solar lights: when new before using them clean with iso and then coat them with ceramic coating for cars.
No need to polish after application. You want the thick layer. Don't buff it out.
I learned the same when I had to swap out all mine now which was installed 3 years ago.

Back