diy solar

diy solar

Got this, plan to get that, and want it to make a system...

Kirk

A couple years ago I picked up six (6) 325W solar panels hoping it would be about the right amount. Since then I've watched many of your videos and still think i might work but let me give you details. I had planned to buy a wrecked Nissan Leaf to harvest the batteries but I might not need that much power storage. I have already harvested about 1500 feet of 00 aluminum insulated wire from overhead transmission lines. I have a 6kw diesel generator and a 2kw inverter generator that will always be available in emergencies but I don't anticipate ever having any except for some backup charging when weather is cloudy and I'm using too much. I have a small RV 12v refrigerator but may switch to a small 115v unit. I have a 9000 Btu 115v mini split for HVAC. I will add to the load with a a small tv, a radio, a few LED lights, a couple of small bilge pumps for my water system, heat tapes to prevent freezing of my water pipes.

Now I really need to decide the size of my battery bank which I hope to have oversized enough to never have to worry about having enough power. I was planning a 48v system and I need to keep it as simple and cheap as possible. Does it sound like I need about a 12KW battery bank (or 18KW or 24KW)? I was thinking a 4KW full sine wave inverter would be about right and one of the new all in one charge controllers. I'd like to add controls to prevent discharging too low, and overcharging above 90% and controls for high and low temps. If I'm using Lithium batteries I'm going to build a small power shed for that stuff. I'm hoping to use the free 00 wire for some of the longer runs because the price is right. Am I headed in the right direction or not?

diy solar

diy solar
Back