diy solar

diy solar

Solar wiring plan feedback

If you have 2 in series you will need to get an active balance to keep them from drifting apart. The internal resistances are not ever identical even though they are close to several decimal places. So when the charge current comes through the one with lower resistance charges more than the one with higher. The upshot is that you either need an active balancer (capable of working at 2 amps or sso and your two voltages) or you have to disconnect the batteries and let them sit in parallel to equallize from time to time.

Did you look any other installs to see what inverters they are using?

Last edited:
If you have 2 in series you will need to get an active balance to keep them from drifting apart. The internal resistances are not ever identical even though they are close to several decimal places. So when the charge current comes through the one with lower resistance charges more than the one with higher. The upshot is that you either need an active balancer (capable of working at 2 amps or sso and your two voltages) or you have to disconnect the batteries and let them sit in parallel to equallize from time to time.
Bummer. Nothing is ever easy :)

I looked at the balancers and they don't cost much. However, I might make my life easier with less points of failure in case of problems, and get 48v battery/ies directly.

Did you look any other installs to see what inverters they are using?
I am still researching but don't have much in terms of what others are using. I am looking at the https://www.currentconnected.com/product/victron-48v-phoenix-1200va-inverter/ . I will use this to run the AC only and also an AC with a soft start.

Last edited:
A battery with a breaker or some way to turn off is a big thing when you have a large one like that. Of course it provides a place for water intrusion. But I would assume it will be in a dry space.
Make your life easy and get a 48v.

With a soft start it would seem to have a good chance of working. And if it doesn't it will provide power for your other items.

Make sure to get quality bus bars to connect everything together. One set to bring the batteries together, then a set to hook up the loads. Between the first positive and second will be a class T.

Battery monitor something like this
The shunt mounts between the first and second negative bus bar.

If you are going blue, you should get all the electronic parts as Victron. They will all communicate and bring things together.

A battery with a breaker or some way to turn off is a big thing when you have a large one like that. Of course it provides a place for water intrusion. But I would assume it will be in a dry space.
Make your life easy and get a 48v.

With a soft start it would seem to have a good chance of working. And if it doesn't it will provide power for your other items.

Make sure to get quality bus bars to connect everything together. One set to bring the batteries together, then a set to hook up the loads. Between the first positive and second will be a class T.

Battery monitor something like this
The shunt mounts between the first and second negative bus bar.

If you are going blue, you should get all the electronic parts as Victron. They will all communicate and bring things together.
Got it. I was looking for a single 48v battery. What do people think of signature solar?

And https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smar...on+solar+charge+controller+48v,aps,143&sr=8-7 should be able to handle 2 500w panels with open circuit voltage of 30 each in series.

Looks good for the price!

Last edited:
Back