• Panels - JA monocrystalline 455W x 3,
  • Battery - LiFePO4 4.8kWh
I had this installed by a company and settings were set as following by me

• Setting 01 - SOL
  • Setting 14 - CSO
  • Setting 12 - 35%
  • Setting 13 - 40%
  • Setting 49 - 2005
These settings worked flawlessly for a year without any issues. However, as I recently rented out the house, the tenant requested to install an air conditioning unit, which I approved. After about four days, on a relatively sunny day, I checked the Growatt webpage to review the system's performance. The battery was charged to about 50%, but upon inspecting the previous days, I noticed something unusual.

Screenshot from 2024-01-13 09-55-01.png
On 09/01/23, the battery had drained below 35%, and the utility hadn't charged it back, although the sun eventually recharged the battery.

Screenshot from 2024-01-13 09-56-31.png
The day before, on 08/01/23, the battery went below 35%, and the utility charged it back to 40%, as per the settings. Something went wrong on the 9th, so I monitored the system for issues.

In the evening, the tenant started using a low amount of power (~4kw), and the battery began to drain rapidly. Observing it drop below 35%, I anticipated potential issues and instructed my father-in-law to shut down the system. However, before he could reach the location, the battery reached 0%. I called the tenant, who reported power interruptions.

Screenshot from 2024-01-13 09-54-24.png
Expecting the battery to be dead and the inverter to be off, I was surprised to find the inverter still running when my father-in-law arrived. I instructed him to shut it down, noting one green LED on the battery.

Upon reporting the issue to the company that installed the system and providing them with graph screenshots, they suggested that there's a setting in Growatt that periodically drains the battery to 0% for maintenance. They claim to have experienced similar issues in other setups, assuring that restarting the system should resolve the problem, which I find very hard to believe.

My question is, does this periodic drainage to 0% happen in the Growatt SPF 5000, and is it considered normal? If not, what could have gone wrong?

Thank you

Update 21/01/23
After solar company done their initial investigation, they found that inverter do not detect the utility input.
Now my question is according to Setting 21 when battery SOC hit the defined value ( 5% in my case ) if there is no other source available inverter should shutdown it self. Which didn't happen.

Last edited:
I'm guessing setting 05 is set to Li? If this is the case, then your BMS is also involved in the logic around when and how charging takes place.

In any case, I've never heard of a periodic full discharge occurring. It's certainly never happened on my system, but I'm not using BMS integration.

There is no such thing on periodic draining to 0% nonsense.

Setting 49 - should be set to all 0000. Do you know you are restricting the utility charging to be available from current day 20:00 to next day 05:00 ? (24 hour format). The inverter is just doing what you told it to do........you are telling the inverter not to use any utility to charge the battery other than those 9 hours period you have specified.
Setting 11 = default so be 30A or higher? Depend of setting 02 too.

Last edited:
I'm guessing setting 05 is set to Li? If this is the case, then your BMS is also involved in the logic around when and how charging takes place.

In any case, I've never heard of a periodic full discharge occurring. It's certainly never happened on my system, but I'm not using BMS integration.
Yes Setting 05 is LI. It is when Setting 05 is set to LI, Setting 12 and 13 can be set to percetages as I remember.

There is no such thing on periodic draining to 0% nonsense.

Setting 49 - should be set to all 0000. Do you know you are restricting the utility charging to be available from current day 20:00 to next day 05:00 ? (24 hour format). The inverter is just doing what you told it to do........you are telling the inverter not to use any utility to charge the battery other than those 9 hours period you have specified.
Setting 11 = default so be 30A or higher? Depend of setting 02 too.
That was deliberately set to prevent battery from charing with utility during day time. As of before in a gloomy day brattery would drain to 35% and inverter would switch the load to utility. Since inverter is running on battery I have set No 49 to 2005 so utility will charge the battery and keep it between 355-40% during night.
Setting 11 is default I think, I didn't change that.

Back